xom-interest - RE: [XOM-interest] Subclassing Serializer

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: "Michael Fitzgerald" <mike AT wyeast.net>, "xom-interest" <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [XOM-interest] Subclassing Serializer
  • Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 22:08:26 -0400

At 2:15 PM -0700 10/8/02, Michael Fitzgerald wrote:

One use case: serializing plain text as XML.

That's sort of backwards. The assumption is the serializer starts with an XML document, not plain text. The other direction might be something to look at on the Builder side, not the Serializer side.

Also, for aesthetics, I wish I could get an element with no text children to
be formed as an empty element tag instead of a start tag and end tag with no
content. In other words, this

<empty/>

is preferred over this

<empty></empty>

That should be what's happening now with the current serializer. If it's not, then there's a bug somewhere.

| Elliotte Rusty Harold | elharo AT metalab.unc.edu | Writer/Programmer |
| XML in a Nutshell, 2nd Edition (O'Reilly, 2002) |
| http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/xian2/ |
| http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0596002920/cafeaulaitA/ |
| Read Cafe au Lait for Java News: http://www.cafeaulait.org/ |
| Read Cafe con Leche for XML News: http://www.cafeconleche.org/ |