xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] 1.0d5 is available: no breaking changes; all users should upgrade

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: John Cowan <jcowan AT reutershealth.com>
  • To: elharo AT metalab.unc.edu (Elliotte Rusty Harold)
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] 1.0d5 is available: no breaking changes; all users should upgrade
  • Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2002 12:52:19 -0400 (EDT)

Elliotte Rusty Harold scripsit:

> Finally, I added an experimental build method to Builder that builds
> a XOM Document directly from a String containing well-formed XML.
>
> public Document build(String document, String baseURI)

Presumably this just wraps the String in a StringReader. Is there any
benefit to XOM doing this vs. the user doing it? It seems like one of
those trivial convenience methods XOM doesn't have, by design.

> Serializer also underwent major improvements. It now supports all
> defined ISO-8859 character sets, including:

Excellent!

> Note that although XOM supports them, not all Java virtual machines
> do. In particular 10 and up are often unavailable.

So if the JVM doesn't support it, you get an UnsupportedEncodingException?

--
John Cowan
jcowan AT reutershealth.com