xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Patch

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: "Bradley S. Huffman" <hip AT a.cs.okstate.edu>
  • To: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Patch
  • Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 22:59:47 -0500

Elliotte Rusty Harold writes:

> The ParseException problem was easily found by switching to Java 1.4
> for the compile. What I don't understand is why the change was
> necessary. Shoudln't an overriding method be allowed to return a
> subclass of the return type of the original, overridden method? In
> this case, a ParseException is a Throwable, after all. Any idea
> what's going on here?

You would think, and why didn't it show up for you (with I assume 1.3)?
My guess would be that they just do something like

method1.getReturnType() == method1.getReturnType()

and call it good. Maybe there is a good reason not to check the class
heirarchy, I think it's a oversight. Hmmm just noticed Method.equals(Object)
implies it compares the return type but doesn't have any code for that
particular test, another oversight?.

Brad