xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Writing Xml

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: Henri Yandell <bayard AT generationjava.com>, <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Writing Xml
  • Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 19:54:03 -0400

At 5:50 PM -0400 9/18/02, Henri Yandell wrote:

Any chance of something with an easier to use format:

such as:

writer.openElement("document");
writer.writeAttribute("name", "bob.text");
writer.openElement("title").writeAttribute("value","Example").closeElement();
writer.closeElement();

It doesn't hog memory, it is more natural when outputting XML.

This is something quite different, possibly useful, but not really appropriate to what XOM is. This would stream XML output. It might even be able to check for well-formedness. However, it's write-only. Once you've written it the document is gone. You don't get it back. I can see how this would be useful for some applications that generate a lot of XML, and don't read in a lot of XML; but it's pretty orthogonal to the problems XOM is aimed at. I suspect it would work better as a separate project. Still, it is interesting...

| Elliotte Rusty Harold | elharo AT metalab.unc.edu | Writer/Programmer |
| XML in a Nutshell, 2nd Edition (O'Reilly, 2002) |
| http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/xian2/ |
| http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0596002920/cafeaulaitA/ |
| Read Cafe au Lait for Java News: http://www.cafeaulait.org/ |
| Read Cafe con Leche for XML News: http://www.cafeconleche.org/ |