wxyc-announce - [wxyc-announce] This Week on WXYC

wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: "wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org" <wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [wxyc-announce] This Week on WXYC
  • Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 13:59:20 -0500

Hi everyone,

Happy Friday! I dunno about you, but I’m looking forward to a chill weekend. And good news: there’s lots of cool programming coming up on WXYC this week to help kick back and relax…..

Tonight at 9pm on the Inside Track, tune in to hear Testimony by Letta, the LA grime producer's debut album. True to the general tenets of grime, this album features loosely structured beats over lurching bass and ambiance. Clicks, disembodied vocal samples, and reversed drum sounds abound.

On tonight's New Science Experience, WXYC alum and Nightlight staple Karina S will be gracing our decks for two hours of house and disco classics. Tune in from 10pm to midnight to get your Friday night groove thing going!

This Sunday on Orange County Special, 11am to 1pm, we’ll be listening to music by Native American artists. We’ll start off with some field recordings and then move into some more contemporary Native American folk and folk rock to explore this oft overlooked genre of American folk.

Because of New Orleans musician Allen Toussaint's death this past Tuesday, November 10th, we'll be featuring his 1975 album Southern Nights on Hell or High Water, Sunday from 1 to 2pm, as well as discussing his contributions to R&B, funk, blues, jazz, and more. RIP 1938-2015.

This week on Sports Rap, Sunday from 9 to 10pm, Diego and Femi will undergo an in-depth analysis in hopes of discovering whether Stephen Curry is human or not. The boys will also cover the implications of Marcus Paige’s injury and talk about the University of Missouri football team strike.

And tune in to the Outside Track on Monday at 9pm to hear We Are Not The First by Hieroglyphic Being & J.I.T.U. Ahn-Sahm-Buhl. A collaboration between left-field abstract techno producer Hieroglyphic Being (aka Jamal Moss), Greg Fox (of Liturgy, Zs, Guardian Alien), Daniel Carter (NY sax player), Shelly Hirsch, and many more experimental jazz musicians. Although Moss has been in the techno scene for decades, this is his first attempt at directing a larger ensemble. As a group full of vets in their respective genres, each artist brings different influences to the table for an album full of satisfying interplay and juxtaposition.