wxyc-announce - [wxyc-announce] THIS WEEK IN WXYC

wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: "wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org" <wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [wxyc-announce] THIS WEEK IN WXYC
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 02:31:07 +0200

How's it goin friends of radio,
THe World Cup!  USA vs. Belgium.  I am still in Belgium which I will stop talking about soon!  Did you know the world is flat?
Here's what WXYC will be serving this week:

Here we go! This Friday at 9pm our Outside Track features another awesome label retrospective release from the German compilation-Meisters at Strut (check out my favorite at V/A C-119 CD).  This particular comp focuses on Dance Mania Records out of Chicago.  From the late 80s into the 90s, these Chicago DJs and producers created a legendary dance-floor culture by putting out seemingly endless house-anthems and club shakers. While plenty of tracks feature smooth as hell vocal tracks and mellifluous rhythms, a fair number blow out the bass rhythms with faster and faster BPMs as hard as hell vocals throw out X-Rated lyrics.

Tune into the New Science Experience to hear guest DJ Mike Dimpfl playing 100% vinyl disco and house jams!  Tonight 10 to midnight! ~_~

This week's edition of Hell or High Water will focus in on the art of making moonshine and songs revolving around this art. Be it diddies about the distillation process or ballads by moonshiners themselves, this show sure will be intoxicating. Tune it to hear all about moonshine! Sunday at 1pm.

At 2pm this Sunday on Broken Music, we explore archival recordings of the late percussionist, poet, and artist Angus MacLise. Known mostly as the original but unrecorded drummer of the Velvet Underground, MacLise crossed paths with Beat poets and minimalist composers, contributed soundtrack work to experimental films. A percussionist with an almost venomous disdain for keeping time, his music remained thoroughly undocumented during his lifetime. Only in the last two decades have collections of his vocal, drum, and tape works begun to emerge, as people seek to unravel the MacLise mystique. His calendar-poem YEAR is currently unfolding slowly at http://twitter.com/MacLiseYEAR

This Sunday at 9 pm, we draft you to listen to Sports Rap! We'll recap the NBA Draft with a focus on the top picks and what our home state Charlotte Hornets did. We'll also discuss Luis Suarez's bite, the USA vs. Belgium game, and lots of other World Cup craziness.

Tune in to the Inside Track this Monday at 9pm to hear the ultimate Nordic avant-jazz/rock improvisational power orchestra, Fire! Orchestra's first-ever studio recording and follow-up from 2013's Exit! Originating from Swedish improv trio Mats Gustafsson, Johan Berthling, and Andreas Werlin and since expanding into an untouchable fortress of talent and improvisational dynamism, the orchestra is tightly disciplined, honing in on stripped-down psych-funk burners that build anticipation until an inevitable release in the form of maelstroms of pulsating big-band improvisations. Different from its freewheeling older sibling, Enter! has a more pronounced sense of tension and dynamics; the orchestra hasn't skipped a beat in intensity or exploration.