wikiworld - Re: [Wiki World] a metric for community

wikiworld AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: WikiWorld

  • From: "Brianna Laugher" <brianna.laugher AT gmail.com>
  • To: WikiWorld <wikiworld AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Wiki World] a metric for community
  • Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 22:36:16 +1000

On 30/09/2007, Milos Rancic <millosh AT gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks to spammers, it is not so hard to find does some project have
> at least people who are taking care about it. However, it doesn't say
> if the project is active or not. For example, I am cleaning spam from
> not so active language editions of Anarchopedia, but I don't know even
> a word in, for example, Japanese.

OK, so another interesting thing is: how many *active community
members* are needed for an *active community*?

Is there more to an active community than a collection of active
community members?

> > * Should the metric be proportional to the size of the wiki? Is that
> > sensible?
>
> I don't think that it is relevant. If English Wikipedia has 2M
> articles and 100 edits per minute, it doesn't makes it equal with some
> other project which has 20K of articles and 1 edit per minute.

That's not what I meant. What I meant was maybe on a tiny wiki, 5
edits makes you an active community member. On English Wikipedia,
maybe it is 100? Or is it still the same 5?

regards,
Brianna

http://modernthings.org/