wheatsville - [Wheatsville] Member Appreciation Day, Member Gathering, Blood Drive and more!

wheatsville AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Wheatsville Co-op Austin, TX

  • From: Dan Gillotte <gm AT wheatsville.com>
  • To: Wheatsville AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Wheatsville] Member Appreciation Day, Member Gathering, Blood Drive and more!
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 17:56:10 -0500

Hi friends!

Another jam-packed e-mail here is what you'll find if you scroll down...

Member Appreciation Day this Saturday!
Member Gathering limited tickets available starting Saturday!
Donate to help people in need of dental care!
Tons of product information including Easter specials!
A blood drive for Paul Holman this Monday at Wheatsville!
Board meeting date changes!

Member Appreciation Day is Saturday March 22nd. Owners get 10% off of all their purchases all day long!!!
We'll have loads of yummy samples from 12-4pm!
This is normally our biggest Member sales day of the year, so it will be busy.

Our Spring Member Gathering will be happening Tuesday April 1 at the Alamo Drafthouse Village from 6:30-9:30.
We'll start with our annual business meeting
Then, an update on our imminent project
and finally, the showing of a great film called, The Real Dirt on Farmer John. (Learn more and see the trailer here: http://www.farmerjohnmovie.com/FJhome.html
Wheatsville will provide one free drink, a soft drink and appetizers of your choice!
Tickets are limited and can be picked up at the front end beginning on Saturday March 22nd until they're gone. Owners may pick up 2 tickets. Out of respect to others, please only get tickets if you'll actually be attending our meeting. Thanks!

Help some folks in need of dental care!
We've teamed up with our friends at Tom's of Maine to gain some support for dental health for people in need and you can help! Just grab one of the $5 or $2 coupons at the registers and add it to your purchase and the proceeds will go to Manos de Cristo, Austin's only low-income dental clinic, and the Jack Sansing Dental Clinic at Aids Services of Austin. We'd love to raise some good money for these folks who are doing good and much needed work in our community!

We've got a lot of product information for you again this week!

Our March Co-op Advantage Specials are in full effect this month! Get the flyer in store, or download it here:

Deli specials for Easter
Spring Hams, a sweet sliced ham seasoned with fresh basil and parmigianno available by the slice in the deli case!
Natural hand-dyed hard-boiled eggs by the each or the half dozen. Hide 'em, find 'em, eat 'em!

We'll also have fresh hams from the meat department for your own preparation.

Perishable news!

GET THEM BEFORE THEY'RE GONE

Perishables Buyer Mike Crissey continues to clean up the dairy and frozen coolers, moving slower movers out. In the dairy cooler, we will be discontinuing the Texas Naturals white eggs. Like other egg brands, the price of the Texas Naturals eggs has gone up. They've reached a price point that Mike doesn't feel gives value to our membership. If we were to conitnue to carry these eggs, they'd likely cost $2.99 a dozen. We're the only place in town selling H&J Ranch eggs (the white cartons). They cost about the same and they're a local product. A carton of a dozen Texas Naturals eggs will cost $1.99 a dozen until they're gone.

Meanwhile, in the frozen cooler, it seems the Minute Maid frozen juice concentrates have run out of time. Mike recently discovered we'd been selling fewer than two dozen of these juices each month. Cascadian Farms juice concentrates are our best-selling, although they are more expensive. Minute Maid will be on sale for 99 cents (down from $1.69) until we sell out. Mike is also looking at the Hytop and Seneca Valley frozen juice concentrates, although he plans to keep conventional (and less expensive) OJ and grape juices.

NEW IN THE DAIRY COOLER

We have a couple of new items in the dairy cooler this week. Check the first door for Organic Nutiva Hempseed Oil in 8 oz. bottles for $7.99. Nutiva’s hemp oil is raw, unrefined and expeller cold-pressed. Nutiva also presses and bottles their Canadian hemp oil in small batches, flushes each bottle with nitrogen to eliminate oxygen and induction seals their bottles. For more information, go to http://nutiva.com/

Also new in the dairy cooler, Tillamook Sweet Cream Butter, both unsalted and salted, for $3.99. Perishables Buyer Mike Crissey decided to swap out the Woodstock Farms Organic butter for the Tillamook to give owners and shoppers a less expensive, conventional butter. Tillamook’s butter is kosher certified, and the company has been cooperatively-owned for almost a century. Today, the Tillamook County Creamery Association (based in Oregon) has about 130 family dairies. For more information, check out http://www.tillamookcheese.com/

Mike is also working to bring in a new local, refrigerated salsa to fill the hole left by East Side Café. Some of you guys may know Out-To-Lunch for their sandwiches and hummus in the deli self-serve case. Mike plans to begin carrying their 16 oz salsa for $3.79. Staff who sampled the salsa said it was relly good, almost better than our own freshly-made salsas.

Word from the Beer Department

Did You Know?
Wheatsville offers 4 different styles of Real Ale Beer (made right outside of Austin) for the low price of $7.49 everyday!
This beats most all other shops in town (we know because we looked!)
Thanks for your support of Austin’s very own delicious microbrew! http://www.realalebrewing.com/

Wheatsville Blood Drive in support of former Wheatsville staff member, Paul Holman this Monday March 24th from 4-7pm in our back parking lot.
Good Karma Blood Drive
A friend of Wheatsville's, Paul Holman, has recently been in the hospital and needed blood and platelets while there. Paul worked at Wheatsville from the late 80s to the mid 90s. We thought it would bring good karma and would be in the community and cooperative spirit to do what we can to help. So this blood drive will help put blood back into the blood bank; to replace some of the blood that Paul needed to use. It will also be a chance to send positive thoughts Paul's way to help him on to good health. Thank you very much. You can sign up for an appointment here: http://tinyurl.com/2e8qtw Use sponsor code: wheatsville For more information contact alamojulie AT gmail.com or call 300-9978

Board meeting date changes for the next two months:

March Board meeting will be held on MONDAY, APRIL 7, 6:00PM

April Board meeting will be held on TUESDAY, APRIL 29, 6:00PM

All board meetings are open to owners and currently held in the Wheatsville Annex behind the store. (The former InStep building.) You can find agendas posted the week prior to each meeting at http://wheatsville.coop/bodagenda.html

I hope that you have a great week!
Hope to see you soon!
Dan Gillotte
Wheatsville GM and e-mail guy!

  • [Wheatsville] Member Appreciation Day, Member Gathering, Blood Drive and more!, Dan Gillotte, 03/19/2008