wheatsville - [Wheatsville] Best of Austin, 4th of July and a recipe!

wheatsville AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Wheatsville Co-op Austin, TX

  • From: Dan Gillotte <gm AT wheatsville.coop>
  • To: wheatsville AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Wheatsville] Best of Austin, 4th of July and a recipe!
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 17:22:44 -0500

Hello Wheatsville friends and fans!

Well, it's that time of year, voting for the Austin Chronicle Best Of Austin awards. We love to win awards here at Wheatsville, but we'll need your help to win! Head over to http://www.austinchronicle.com/feedback/bestof/06/ and fill out a ballot. Please consider marking Wheatsville as Best Gourmet/ Specialty Grocery. There are other potential categories you could select Wheatsville for of course, but if you want to just do one, please choose Best Gourmet/ Specialty Grocery. The deadline is Monday July 10th. Thanks for playing and now, on to the real e-mail!

Wheatsville will be closing early on the 4th of July at 9pm... Enjoy the fireworks!

It's been pretty hot (could be hotter, I suppose) Nonetheless, staying cool is the goal for all of us in this time. Fruit is a way to get refreshed and the produce department is really delivering...

The big hit for me this past weekend were Texas Hill Country Peaches. Rosie and I ate them all weekend very delightedly! I suggest you partake of these and soon!
Organic Red and green grapes have been nice and sweet as well so far!
Organic Cherries are quite tasty, too!
Look for Organic Texas Watermelons this week as well as Organic Canteloupes.
We've got Organic Peaches, White Peaches and White Nectarines this week.
Other fruit of note...
Organic Texas Blueberries, Organic Strawberries (which have been very tasty!) and organic Apricots.

Frozen
All Gardenburgers on sale $3.49 reg. $4.19
We are also pleased to announce our newly expanded Rosita's Tamales selection including Chicken and Bean in hot and mild varieties.

In the deli
You should be able to find our beloved Popcorn Tofu more frequently these days. We are making it every day, so be on the lookout! If you haven't tried Popcorn Tofu yet, you are in for a HUGE treat! It's just about the most tasty tofu around!
For the weekend and the 4th, look for a variety of potato salads, cole slaw, and macaroni salads!

A few words from our meat department-

Wheatsville is proud to promote grass-fed beef in our meat case. From a nutritional standpoint, grass-fed beef is FAR superior to all other varieties of beef. Look for an article in the July issue of the Breeze (being printed as we speak!) extolling the virtues of grass-fed beef and offering some tips on cooking it to perfection. At the end of this article, look for a recipe for an asian style steak marinade. We have a good brochure available on summer entertaining, look for it at the member center!

A few more words about our meat department-
We grind our ground beef on a daily basis for freshness.
We carry grass-fed, organic and natural beef exclusively.
All of our beef comes from Texas.
If you're omnivorous and haven't tried our meat department, please do. If you are already a fan, please spread the word to your friends!

These are the last days to get yourself some Co-op Advantage sale items!
Julie's Ice Cream 2 for $5
Enriched Rice Dream $1.69
Cascadian farms Organic Spud Puppies $1.99
So Delicious Organic Non-Dairy Dessert $3.99
Organic Pistachios in bulk for $7.49 a pound
Organic Polenta $1.99
- this product comes in a tube which seems strange, but it's quite good. You can bake or pan fry it to a crispy deliciousness!
Robert's American Snacks like Veggie Booty and Tings are 2 for $3!
Rudi's Organic Bread, select varieties are $2.69

Sale ends on Friday... never fear, though... New Co-op Advantage specials will be available beginning on Saturday!

I would like to remind folks about our Community Action 1 % Wednesday program... each month, we donate 1% of our Wednesday sales to a local community group selected by our members. So far this year, we have donated over $3,500 to local groups like the Sustainable Food Center, Save our Springs Alliance, Community Partnership for the Homeless and others. The group for July is Casa Marianella who provide shelter and services to immigrants in Austin. You can learn more about them at http://casamarianella.org/

Here is that steak recipe. I hope you all have a great week!

Dan
Wheatsville GM and e-mail guy!

  • [Wheatsville] Best of Austin, 4th of July and a recipe!, Dan Gillotte, 06/28/2006