wheatsville - [Wheatsville] Spring eats and more!

wheatsville AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Wheatsville Co-op Austin, TX

  • From: Dan Gillotte <gm AT wheatsville.coop>
  • To: wheatsville AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Wheatsville] Spring eats and more!
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 14:30:09 -0500

Hello Wheatsville folks!

This is your last weekend to get the amazing Salsa of the Month, our Sweet Serrano Salsa! Next up a salsa from our friends in Ozark Natural Foods Tomatilla Fire aka Roasted Veggie Salsa. That will be available next week for the month

It's also your last weekend to get any Co-op Advantage specials for April.
Co-op Advantage specials of note include:

Spectrum Organic Unrefined Extra Virgin Olive Oil $8.99
Endangered Species bars $1.69
Cascadian Farms Organic frozen vegetables 10 oz. $1.99
White Wave Sill Organic Soy Milk $2.69
Lightlife Deli Slices $1.89
Annie's Natural Dressings $2.29
Lara Nutritional Bars $1.19

Look at the front end cap for sales on Seventh Generation cleaning and household products!

You can download a pdf of the Co-op Advantage flyer here: http://www.wheatsville.coop/CAP%20flyers/SW0406%20final.pdf

Our Co-op Share item of the month for May comes from Ozark Natural Foods in Fayetteville Arkansas. Arkanslaw (yep, that's its name!) is a Southern update of a classic with roasted red pepper and red onions with just a little spice! It will be available from May 1st until May 15th in the deli.

Some other items of note throughout the store include:

Alexia Rolls and Garlic Bread- Jeff our frozen guy is raving about these bake-off and eat breads. He considers himself a "bread snob" but likes these a lot! The Garlic Bread is a delicious buttery-garlic blend sure to please!

As salad season approaches, I want to remind you about our Wheatsville's Kitchen Tamari Garlic Salad dressing. It's a big hit and comes in a take-home container ready for salad fixin'!

Bryan our meat and seafood guy has been working on bringing in some more sustainable seafood products and in the case today, he has White Wild King Salmon and Coho salmon. Both of these fish are wild and line-caught items from small family fishermen.

Look for our Summer Food Guide throughout the store for tips on throwing summer bashes, making wonderful salads and grilling meat, seafood and veggies. It's a full color pamphlet withe the picture of fruit kebabs on the cover!

Good news from the deli!

The deli is pleased to introduce plastic containers made from renewable resources. These corn containers will be used for all cold drinks and other cold items like salads. The benefit to using these products is that they come from annually renewable crops, as opposed to petroleum like most plastic products. These plastic containers are not microwave safe, so don't try and use them that way. Items that people typically heat and eat will be served in microwavable containers still. Look for wheat-based cutlery coming soon! This is all part of Wheatsville's commitment to more sustainable choices. Thanks for supporting us in this endeavor.

I hope you all have a great week!
Below is a non-Wheatsville event that may be of interest!

See you soon!

Dan Gillotte
Wheatsville GM and e-mail guy

Introduction to Permaculture
Weekend Course
Saturday/Sunday April 29-30 - Austin, Texas

A 2-day introductory course led by noted Permaculture instructors Dick Pierce and Selwyn Polit, offering practical training and skills in sustainable living. We will cover design principles and technologies that you can easily apply to your home, workplace, and community to help you live well in the city or the country. The course also serves as the first two days of the 10-day Permaculture Design Course. cost $120.

To learn Principles, ethics, concepts, techniques, tools and ideas to:

       Mimic Nature starting with detailed, long-term observation of our unique local habitat
       Solutions/designs to our Central Texas climate, water, soil, vegetation, gardening, etc.
       Capture and effectively use and re-use water
       Build an herb spiral
       Learn to compost
       Introduction to natural & green building
       Growing food locally in small spaces, with  little time
       Encourage natural cycles - plants, animals, etc.
       Homes and landscapes that serve people, attract wildlife, and create restorative habitat.
       Implement landscapes that take care of themselves

Register and get more info at http://www.austinprogressivecalendar.com/permaculture.htm#April06IntroWeekend

  • [Wheatsville] Spring eats and more!, Dan Gillotte, 04/26/2006