wheatsville - [Wheatsville] Third Thursday fun, Earthdinners, and the New Frontier (herb rack)

wheatsville AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Wheatsville Co-op Austin, TX

  • From: dan gillotte <gm AT wheatsville.com>
  • To: wheatsville AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Wheatsville] Third Thursday fun, Earthdinners, and the New Frontier (herb rack)
  • Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 12:59:45 -0500

Hello Wheatsville friends,

What a gorgeous month we are having so far this April! Lovely weather and a terrific wildflower season! Who could ask for more?

Earth Day is coming up and our friends at Organic Valley Co-op have devised a new and exciting way to really celebrate this special day that has been largely co-opted by giant corporations.

“Think Globally, Eat Locally

<x-tad-bigger>Here's a new way for family and friends to come together to appreciate the remarkable role food plays in our lives, in our family's histories and on our planet. The EARTH DINNER™ is meant to recognize that the farmer is the real force behind the food that we eat, and the more we can support local growers the healthier and more nutritious every dinner will be.

</x-tad-bigger><x-tad-bigger>Plan an Earthdinner this month! </x-tad-bigger><x-tad-bigger>Ask your guests to bring a dish to share - potluck style. Each dish brought to the table provides an opportunity for us to talk about its origins and its connections to our personal histories through the activity cards provided on the Organic Valley web-site.

Encourage your guests to share dishes that come from their family recipe books, but to the extent that's possible, try to find foods that are locally produced, fresh and flavorful! If they are organically grown - that's even better! Remember to ask your guests to do their best to find out about the origins of food they bring to share and how it was grown.

For Earth Dinner shopping and recipe ideas, visit
www.organicvalley.coop/recipes/earthdinner.”

I think this sounds great and even though my wife Rosie and I will be tired from participating in the </x-tad-bigger><x-tad-bigger>Austin Park’s Foundation</x-tad-bigger><x-tad-bigger> It’s My Park Day in Saturday April 23rd, I still want to try and plan an Earthdinner for my friends that weekend!

Next week Wheatsville and the other local merchants on Guadalupe want to invite you out for the evening! </x-tad-bigger><x-tad-bigger>Come join us for Third Thursday on Guadalupe next Thursday April 21st from 6-10pm. </x-tad-bigger><x-tad-bigger>Merchants from 23rd street up to 38th street will be having special activities during this period to encourage folks to “do da loop” on Guadalupe! At Wheatsville, we will be teaming up with our pals at In-step and presenting live music and free food samples including St. Arnold’s Root Beer from a keg! Our first band is a great polka band who will be playing around 6:45. At 8:30, Herb Pharm will take the stage. Herb Pharm is a bluesy band featuring all player s from Wheatsville including Jack Chauvin and Phil “Flip” Patterson from the deli and Phil Johnson from the front end.
Wheatsville will also be a drop-off and pick-up point for the Austin Duck Tours bus who will be driving up and down Guadalupe giving people rides for free to several point along “Da Loop.”
Many of the stores have cool things planned, so come and make a night of it on “Da Loop” for Third Thursday!

In-store: You may notice a change in our Herb Department, we have a nice, new herb rack from our friends at Frontier Co-op in Norway Iowa. We are pleased to be making a change to buying the vast majority of our herbs from this long-time co-op business. Frontier has always been a quality leader in herbal products and we are proud to be partnering with them again. The labels are nice and easy to read. Look for RED labels on certified organic herbs and spices. We hope you like the change and find the quality to be very high.

</x-tad-bigger>
As always, we appreciate your support of Austin’s Community grocery. We couldn’t do it without you!

Dan Gillotte
Wheatsville GM and e-mail guy

Wheatsville Co-op winner Best of Austin Best Specialty/ Gourmet Grocery and Best Place to be a Faux Vegetarian!

  • [Wheatsville] Third Thursday fun, Earthdinners, and the New Frontier (herb rack), dan gillotte, 04/14/2005