unclug - Re: [unclug] (no subject)

unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: UNC Linux Users Group

  • From: "Todd M. Lewis" <utoddl AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: alanh AT unc.edu, UNC Linux Users Group <unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [unclug] (no subject)
  • Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 11:34:48 -0500

That's interesting. /usr/share/eclipse/eclipse is a symbolic link to /usr/lib/eclipse/eclipse. /usr/lib/eclipse/eclipse is hardlinked to /usr/bin/eclipse (i.e., "ls -li" shows they both have the same idnode).

The significant difference appears to be that next to /usr/share/eclipse/eclipse is another file /usr/share/eclipse/startup.jar, which gets used when calling eclipse as /usr/share/eclipse/eclipse. However, strace shows that /usr/bin/eclipse tries (and fails) to load /usr/bin/startup.jar. Evidently it's looking for startup.jar in the directory eclipse lives in.

For what it's worth, running eclipse from the menu fails the same way. No too surprising really (that it fails the same way I mean; it's plenty surprising that it got past QA this way).
/ Todd_Lewis AT unc.edu 919-445-9302 http://www.unc.edu/~utoddl /
/ The short fortuneteller who escaped from prison /
/ was a small medium at large. /

Alan Hoyle wrote:
I think I've found a workaround. Instead of running /usr/bin/eclipse, I try running /usr/share/eclipse/eclipse.
Then I get a "Fedora Eclipse" splash screen (which I didn't get from the java -jar /usr/share/eclipse/startup.jar method), and it all seems to be OK (admittedly, I haven't tested thoroughly).
Oddly enough, diff /usr/bin/eclipse /usr/share/eclipse/eclipse seems to indicate the files are the same.
-alan