unclug - [unclug] campus proxy server note

unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: UNC Linux Users Group

  • From: Loren Watterson <loren_watterson AT unc.edu>
  • To: unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [unclug] campus proxy server note
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 14:43:12 -0500 (EST)

For those of you using the UNC-CH campus proxy server to get your
Red Hat updates, I wanted to mention a trend that I've noticed where
Red Hat Network is unavailable during the night for some part of
11p until 3a at least once a week. This happened again last night
where requests to get updates were met with the message below.
Unfortunately, our campus proxy relies on the RHN to verify the
entitlement so we are still reliant on RHN in order to serve out
updates. I just wanted to mention this to admins who might have
automated the process of getting updates during the night or
schedule updates with RHN and run into problems.

Best,
Loren

Loren Watterson
ITS Research Computing Group UNC-Chapel Hill
loren_watterson AT unc.edu phone: +1.919.843.2461
www.unc.edu/atn/hpc fax: +1.919.962.5664

Red Hat Network is currently unavailable for scheduled maintenance.
The servers will be back online by no later than 3:00AM EDT (UTC-4) on
Wednesday, November 17th.

We apologize for any inconvenience this outage may cause.

Thank you for using Red Hat Network.

--the RHN team

  • [unclug] campus proxy server note, Loren Watterson, 11/17/2004