typicalgirls - [TypicalGirls] OM + comps

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: Dina Hornreich <dina.hornreich AT gmail.com>
  • To: Typical Girls <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [TypicalGirls] OM + comps
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2016 20:03:13 -0600

Hi collective wisdom,

I wanted to take a moment to show respect for the best record store on the planet, Other Music. As you know, OM is closing its doors at the end of the month. I used to take pilgrimages to St. Marks just to shop there. In fact, it was a trip to OM that prompted me to start the TG listserv in the first place. I remember finding the Y Pants and Girls at Our Best! there and wondering if there were a forum for this stuff. There wasn't so I created one. That was in July 1998. Some of you have been on this list since its inception. The first posts were about the LiliPUT comp. I still have a cassette dub of that stuff before KRS picked up the slack.

On another note, I'd like to recommend the Sharon Signs to Cherry Red comp of independent women late 70s - early 80s. It's just fun to celebrate all these cool women. Some of whom we already know and love, but there are new ones to discover too.

I also highly recommend the Vivien Goldman collection Resolution. It has Launderette (which is on so many amazing comps) but it also has some Flying Lizards stuff among other collaborations that are a great listen. I'm reviewing these for Dagger zine. So I won't give you my reviews but they will be posted soon on the tumblr site. Helen McCookerybook blogged very nicely here: http://mccookerybook.blogspot.com/2016/05/review-vivien-goldmans-resolutionary.html about the comp.