typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] Callout for female fanzine UK fanzinewriters, 1975-1984

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: Stewart Osborne <stewart_osborne AT btinternet.com>
  • To: typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] Callout for female fanzine UK fanzinewriters, 1975-1984
  • Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2016 09:39:50 +0000

Joly wrote:

"At Better Badges I printed a whole bunch of fanzines between 79-82 and I
don't think a single one of one of them was female authored?! I never
really thought about it til now".

I co-authored one of the 'zines that Joly printed (Grinding Halt), and likewise I'd never really thought about it before, but I don't remember ever encountering any female 'zine writers.

The closest thing I can think of is that there were a couple of girls from Didcot, who we frequently used to meet on the train to and from Paddington, from and to Reading, on our way to gigs, who used to run the official Stiff Little Fingers fan club and I *think* produced 1 or more issues of a fanclub-only 'zine of sorts, because I *think* they asked us if they could reproduce one or more of our reviews of / interviews with SLF in it (which we were delighted to agree to, of course).

Their names were Sarah and Jane (I just had to dig out my cooy of Nobody's Heroes and check the inner sleeve to refresh my ailing memory), but, again, good luck finding them - I made a few enquiries through various online SLF forums a few weeks ago, and nobody else seemed to remember them at all.

Stewart (formerly Eddie Snide)