typicalgirls - [TypicalGirls] Has anyone been to D.C.'s "Women Who Rock" exhibition at NMWA?

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: Erin Fleming <erinflemingburns AT gmail.com>
  • To: TypicalGirls AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [TypicalGirls] Has anyone been to D.C.'s "Women Who Rock" exhibition at NMWA?
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 11:40:48 -0700

Here is the exhibition:  http://www.nmwa.org/exhibitions/women-who-rock

I'm writing something about museums and local/community relevance, and I'm trying to figure out if the exhibition included anything on Chalk Circle (DC's first all-female punk band formed in the early '80s) or even on Dischord women like Slant 6, Autoclave, Amy Farina, etc.  In fact, if anyone has gone to it and just wants to share their thoughts about it with me off-list, I'd love that.  I suspect the exhibition will be lackluster seeing as how it was developed by the people over at the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame, where nearly 90% of the inductees are male.  Plus there's that whole issue of "Are we musicians or are we female musicians?  Rockers or female rockers?"

I'd rather go see the Women's Music and Liberation exhibit anyway!  :)  http://womensliberationmusicarchive.wordpress.com/music-liberation-exhibition/

Thanks all!

Erin

--
Erin Fleming
Ribbon Around a Bomb

Blog ~ Radio

Pinterest: @lalengua
Twitter: @lalenguasf
Instagram: @la_lengua

  • [TypicalGirls] Has anyone been to D.C.'s "Women Who Rock" exhibition at NMWA?, Erin Fleming, 10/23/2012