typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] American vs. European feminist punk

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: Tobi Vail <tobivail AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)" <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] American vs. European feminist punk
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 17:08:08 -0700

it really depends on what you mean by feminist...the name itself
wasn't embraced by women in punk/post-punk either in the u.s. or
europe as I understand it...but was seeing The Patti Smith Group in
1975 a feminist experience? does that depend on the viewer or the
performer? audience reception to cultural work by women is often a
reason why female musicians hesitate to categorize themselves. we are
already "types" of less than human broken down by dichotomy of
virgin/whore/slut/dyke/bitch etc rock journalism in the 70's was
pretty misogynist (with notable exceptions) and this hadn't changed
much by the 90's...if it's changed now I haven't noticed...so all
these factors play into how a band chooses to label or not label
themselves...political could mean "uptight" or "taking yourself too
seriously" or playful and fun and aeshetic like huggy bear ...of
course when women in punk tried to re-define punk and feminism to be
more inclusive, suddenly every woman in a band was a "riot grrl" and
had no sense of humor, was naive, judged by their appearance,
belittled, shamed and dismissed...of course girls in the audience
largely didn't care, but when those girls took the stage, they weren't
always eager to fly the feminist flag...I think that makes sense.
while your at it, read this anti-nostalgia rant by marissa magic:
http://punkymagic.blogspot.com/2010/09/recent-column-i-wrote-for-mrr.html
...2011 is the 20 year anniversary of riot grrl...
oh yeah and on that note, this came out today:
http://vimeo.com/14584280
a fantastic new video by grass widow