typicalgirls - [TypicalGirls] Feminist = Angry trope

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: Larry Bob Roberts <larrybob AT gmail.com>
  • To: typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [TypicalGirls] Feminist = Angry trope
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 11:15:03 -0700

>Grauniad: What happened to angry female music stars?
It seems like there's an automatic assumption that someone who is feminist is also angry.
The words are linked.
I think the media is promoting a view that women are expressing an irrational emotion rather than pointing out injustice.
While those of us who prefer music by independent, outspoken women do enjoy this music that's labeled "angry", I think the label is limiting in that it reduces the music and the ideas expressed in its lyrics to one emotion.

Larry