typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] BBC to shut down BBC6 Music

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: Mark Harris <markharris05 AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)" <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] BBC to shut down BBC6 Music
  • Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 21:30:51 +0000

Awful news.

Here is the response I got when I complained

Thanks for your e-mail regarding BBC 6 Music.

Last summer, the BBC Trust challenged the BBC to develop a new strategy to meet the opportunities and the threats of the rapidly changing media landscape.

Although the details have yet to be agreed – meaning media speculation is therefore premature – the BBC expects to present its proposals to the BBC Trust in the near future.

At the core of the strategy will be a renewed commitment to serving the British public with programmes and services of the highest quality. Audiences admire and value the BBC's digital services and the BBC will remain fully committed to online and to digital television and radio.

But the new strategy will lay out ways of focusing and concentrating licence fee investment on areas and services which are distinctive and best fulfil the BBC's public purposes, which meet the expectations of licence-payers but also leave plenty of space for commercial media providers.

Chairman of the BBC Trust, Sir Michael Lyons, has also issued a statement about the ongoing BBC Strategy Review which can be found on the BBC Trust's website at www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/news/press_releases/february/strategy_statement.shtml.

However, we would like to assure you that we've registered your complaint on our audience log. This is a daily report of audience feedback that's circulated to many BBC staff, including members of the BBC Executive Board, channel controllers and other senior managers.

The audience logs are seen as important documents that can help shape decisions about future programming and content.

Thanks again for taking the time to contact us.

Regards

BBC Complaints