typicalgirls - [TypicalGirls] Downtown Calling

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: "Tim B, NYC" <tjb81 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [TypicalGirls] Downtown Calling
  • Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 12:39:24 -0700 (PDT)

It's a wee bit off topic but I think a lot of us would be interested in a new doc called Downtown Calling. It covers the NY downtown underground creative scene from the mid 70's to the mid 80's, and it looks like they've done a fairly thorough job of it. I've also been told by some reliable sources that the film is very good. Click over to http://downtowncalling.com/site/ to see the trailer.

Synopsis: In the late 1970s, the “greatest city in the world” was teetering on the edge of total chaos. A failed economy, crime and en mass housing corruption gave way to a city in crisis. Yet out of the economic and social strife that held the “Big Apple” hostage, a family of homegrown cultures that would forever change the world began to emerge. Downtown Calling not only documents, in detail, the evolution of New York City’s fertile music and art subculture during this period, but how its collective output continues to play a prominent, driving role in the international fashion, art and music industries today.

Tim B, NYC/Karate Boogaloo!
My LinkedIn.com info
Stupefaction

  • [TypicalGirls] Downtown Calling, Tim B, NYC, 10/16/2009