typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] OT: the b-word in music

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: Michael Howes <mhowes AT baptismofsolitude.org>
  • To: "Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)" <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Girl Group <girlgroup AT yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] OT: the b-word in music
  • Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 23:26:44 -0700

i know i will be taken to task for this but the early 80s heavy metal
band, bitch were pretty great. damnation alley and be my slave were
awesome records and the whole leather sex kitten vibe was singer betsy
bitch's idea.

I loved Bitch and got the chance to see them live back in the mid to late 80s.
They were one of my favorites that my metalhead friends made fun of me for liking, which included Lita Ford and Warlock. (of course this also included "underground" metal bands at the time like Slayer, Venom, and Merciful Fate)...don't want to stray too far from Judas Priest ya know.

It was cooler to like Motley Crue and Ratt (in all their lipstick and leggings glory) than like a metal band with a tough woman and in Lita Ford's case, one playing lead guitar as well as writing and singing.

I haven't listened to "Be My Slave" by Bitch in 20 years. Wonder what I'd think of it now

and another note, Bitch I think was one of the main bands mentioned in the PMRC "hearings". And often confounded both the xtains and feminists. I just now did a google search and even see that this is mentioned on Bitch's all music guide profile.
"Bitch's main attraction was lead singer Betsy Bitch, who portrayed a dominatrix from hell and sang about the pleasures of whips, chains, handcuffs, gags, and other toys. The whole thing was very humorous and tongue-in-cheek, but critics of the controversial band (which ranged from liberal feminists on the left to Christian fundamentalists on the right) failed to see the humor of titles like "Live for the Whip" and "Be My Slave."

humor huh? I know when I saw Warlock (what is with her vibrato? it kills me every time) and Bitch in the 80s I did not find anything humorous. Maybe they were joking/playing but as a 100% metalhead teen I was a bit scared but more in awe. Warlock (it might have been Dora solo) opened up for Megadeth and Sanctuary and after seeing her rock out harder than I had ever seen a women rock Dave's sneer seemed silly. All this might sound silly and just one teen boys sheltered experience but it wasn't soon after I saw Fireparty (maybe even the same year) and together they opened my eyes.

damn it, now I have a Lita Ford song in my head

and to stay more on topic of the use of the b-word
Bitch Magnet
Missy E's "She's a Bitch"
and
great bay area female noise project, "16 Bitch Pileup"
were the first things that came to mind...well after 7 Year Bitch

mike