typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] Brian Cogan - The Encyclopedia of Punk

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: "Victoria Korosi" <vkorosi AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)" <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] Brian Cogan - The Encyclopedia of Punk
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 23:23:14 -0600

Hi Dina---

I am an e-mail acquaintance of Kym's and am back in Minneapolis
helping Laura Kennedy (Bush Tetras) as she recovers from a liver
transplant that she received on November 18th.

I have enclosed a press release and it looks like David Thomas of Pere
Ubu will also be a part of the festivities. (just confirmed tonight
actually).

Thanks for your consideration and I look forward to meeting you upon
my return to San Francisco.

respect,

vicky

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: 12/2/08

BENEFIT SCHEDULED FOR LAURA KENNEDY OF THE BUSH TETRAS

Laura Kennedy, bassist and founding member of the seminal NYC no-wave
band the Bush Tetras, recently received a liver transplant due to
complications from Hepatitis C. The bills are enormous and continue
to pile up.

On January 17th the Bush Tetras, the Suicide Commandos and Skoal
Kodiak will play a benefit for Laura at Nick & Eddie, located at 1612
Harmon Place in Minneapolis.

Laura grew up in Cleveland, Ohio and was part of a significant exodus
of Cleveland artists and musicians to New York in the late 70's. She
was a roadie for the Contortions before joining forces with guitarist
Pat Place to form the Bush Tetras in 1980. Their classic single "Too
Many Creeps" became a Top 10 college radio hit. A 12" EP entitled
"Rituals" was released in 1982 by Stiff records and produced by Topper
Headon of The Clash with subsequent releases on the ROIR cassette
label that also appeared throughout the 80s. Laura relocated to
Minneapolis in 1999 where she resides today.

The band has continued to perform and record sporadically throughout
the 90s and the early part of the new millennium. Their recordings
remain favorites of hip DJs worldwide, as evidenced by the inclusion
of "You Can't Be Funky" on Soul Jazz's recent "New York Noise"
compilation. In any event, you DON'T want to miss this, their first
Twin Cities appearance in over 25 years!

The Suicide Commandos formed in 1974 when guitarist Chris Osgood and
drummer Dave Ahl asked bassist Steve Almaas to join their new band,
thus becoming one of the very first punk rock groups of the era, one
whose career roughly paralleled (rather than mimicked) the emergence
of the Ramones in Queens, New York. The trio jump-started the
Minneapolis punk scene with their arrival at the legendary Longhorn
Bar in the spring of 1976. The Suicide Commandos released independent
singles in 1976 and 1977 before becoming one of two crucial bands (the
other being Cleveland's Pere Ubu) to sign with Polydor's short-lived
Blank label in 1977. Their debut LP, "Make a Record," failed to
capture the excitement of their live shows, and did not catch on
nationally. After a West Coast tour, the band felt that they had
peaked, and deemed it wise to go out in a blaze of glory rather than
to fizzle out slowly. The Suicide Commandos played their last
official shows together at the Longhorn in November of 1978. There
are those of us who were there who will swear up and down that the
Suicide Commandos remain the greatest rock and roll band to ever
emerge from the Twin Cities. Their appearance at this benefit is
indeed a very rare occasion.

Skoal Kodiak's Marcus Lunkenheimer plays a modified bleach bottle,
with circuit-bends, distortions, and manipulations causing his voice
to squelch, gargle and gasp as if he's being devoured by a gigantic
meat grinder. The rock-solid rhythm section of bassist Brady Lenzen
and drummer Freddy Votel lay down a solid groove informed by dub
reggae and early 80s post-punk outfits like Public Image Limited and
Gang of Four. Put it all together and you have the most innovative
cult rock band in the Twin Cities opening up the evening's
festivities.

Tickets are $25 in advance and available at Treehouse Records, the
Electric Fetus, Eclipse Records, Roadrunner Records and Nick & Eddie.
Tickets are also available via First Avenue by following the link
provided below:

Read Laura's candid and informative blog (and make Paypal donations,
if you are able) at:

http://lklf.blogspot.com.

www.myspace.com/bushtetras

www.first-avenue.com