typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] No Wave exhibit/UT

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: Andrew Luck <andyvluck13 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: "Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)" <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] No Wave exhibit/UT
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 01:47:35 +0000

andrea

cheers to the fellow "prov-ers". saw the wunderground show...it was cool.
no surprise there. my six year old loved it too! i think the DIY and artful
stealing of imagery is a big thread that runs through ft thunder and no wave
(dada, hardcore, psych, etc).

i saw UT at the rocket (later club babyhead) in prov in the 80's (their
second go around i think...). they were awesome.

UT: women who switched instruments, were incredibly powerful and not over the
top sexual (in a pandering way). that sounds like a recipe for historical
neglect to me...

:-(

IMHO, new wave appears to be quite a "scene" and even a small scene is going
to have factions. there will be "winners" and there will be "losers" and
later revisions and later still more revisions.

perhaps there is no "secret history"...just personal ones.

best regards

andy

http://www.windowslive.com/messenger/connect_your_way.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Refresh_messenger_062008