typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] Bands in the vein of YMG and Antena?

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: Daniel Selzer <danselzer AT yahoo.com>
  • To: "Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)" <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] Bands in the vein of YMG and Antena?
  • Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 10:18:05 -0700 (PDT)

--- Layla Gibbon <lpgibbon AT yahoo.com> wrote:

> Amos and Sara! They are somehow related to The
> Homosexuals (who are not typical girls, but are
> great-you should get their CD for sure if you don't
> have it)

Amos is Jim from the Homosexuals, aka L Voag, aka
Xentos Bentos aka...

Sara I think was one of his collaborators who appears
on some other Jim related releases like the Tesco
Bombers single.

None of the Amos and Sara stuff or Jim's solo stuff
appears on the awesome Homosexuals Astral Glamour CD,
however the L Voag ep and LP got an essential CD
release on Alcohol a few years ago.

If there are any plans for Amos and Sara stuff to get
the CD treatment, maybe Chuck knows?

I can't really think of anything else like YMG and
Antena, maybe Thick Pigeon? As far as cheap synths and
female vox there's stuff more in the new wave vein,
like Drinking Electricity or Mechanical Servants. You
could go further into more obscure female fronted
weirdo electronic pop like Leda and Ann Steel (check
out the Viva show I discuss here:
http://acuterecords.com/blog/?p=22 ) or Ice Queen
disco like Gina X or Vivien Vee, but that's getting
pretty far from YMG!

-dan

p.s. new CD, Hungry Beat by the Fire Engines out this
week.
http://acuterecords.com/releases/acu009_fireengines.html