typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] Random Observation

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: "Lani Smith" <LSmith AT minlib.net>
  • To: "Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)" <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] Random Observation
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 11:40:03 -0400

I'm glad you mentioned that book:
> I'm curious to know what others think of Reynolds and
> Press's The Sex Revolts: Gender, Rebellion, and Rock n
> Roll? I had mixed feelings about that book...

I read it a while ago while doing research on female record collectors.
The book bugged me too, while I found little reason to be critical of "Rip
It Up", though I had trouble articulating why. I'll have to look at it
again. Maybe it's just that make *pronouncements* and *statements* about
things that seem less than clear, and that kind of tone goes down easier
when talking about a band or music.
- Lani