typicalgirls - [TypicalGirls] Greetings And Salutations...

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: "Bess Korey" <besskorey AT gmail.com>
  • To: TypicalGirls AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [TypicalGirls] Greetings And Salutations...
  • Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 23:56:36 -0500

Hello Everyone!

I was a member of this list a long time ago, maybe 5 or 6 years ago, but lost touch for some reason, perhaps it had to do with not having internet access for a while, I am not sure, but regardless, I am glad to see that the list is still going strong after all these years, and I am happy to join it again! I am 26 years old, and have been a fan of many of the bands that are discussed on here for about a decade now. I am a writer and singer, whom for the time being has to suffer through a horrible retail job in order to make ends meet. As far as my writing goes, I interviewed Penelope Houston a few years back for Venus Zine, and was recently published by Venus again. This time I did an interview with Julie Patchouli of The Pandoras. I know that they are from a bit later in time than most of the bands discussed her, but I would still like to share the link to the interview with you all, in case anyone else here is a fan of the band and would like to see it. It's located at: http://venuszine.com/stories/music_interviews/3629
I am also the lead singer of a '70s Glam Rock inspired band, which I think is another genre that is untapped when it comes to the chronicling of women that were involved with that scene, and I will perhaps write about that someday.
I noticed that there was a discussion about Goldie And The Gingerbreads on here, and I would like to recommend a CD that features them on it, as well as some other all-female '60s bands. It's called Girls With Guitars and was put out by the British label Ace Records a few years ago, and I'm pretty sure that it's still in print. Also featured on that CD are She/Hairem and Denise And Co./Ace Of Cups, which are two other all-female groups that Ace Records has released albums for, and are well worth checking out, especially if you are interested in hearing music by lesser known all-female psychedelic/garage bands from the '60s. I apologize if someone has already mentioned these groups/CDs on here before, since I haven't been on the list for quite some time, I wasn't aware of them being mentioned, but if not, then I hope that my recommendations have been helpful.
I am excited to be on this list again, and look forward to reading everyone's posts! Thanks for taking the time to read mine.

Sincerely,
Bess Korey

  • [TypicalGirls] Greetings And Salutations..., Bess Korey, 03/31/2007