typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] timewaster of the month [Pigbag rel.]

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: Chuck Warner <chuck AT hyped2death.com>
  • To: "Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)" <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] timewaster of the month [Pigbag rel.]
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 23:34:52 -0400

Yeah I should've chimed in about the Nightingales as well. In Somerville last Friday Robert was in fine fettle --despite ghastly treatment by "grumpy sound-man" (who only showed up at 9:30 and spent the entire evening reading a book...), but the band were astonishing. "Teen phenom" is no exaggeration for Matt Wood, original Prefect guitarist Alan Apperley worked with him brilliantly (Strat [my eyesight sucks and my hearing wouldn't let me get any closer so it might've been a different Fender] and Lyre guitars make a very cool combination sonically), Stephen Lowe channeled my hero JJ Burnel perfectly, and Daren Garratt (who drummed with Pram at some point [not the Prams]) was just spectacular...

I'm not sure quite how to put it but they played at extreme speed and still managed to stay out of each other's ways -a denser, Beefheartier early Feelies (with Robert Lloyd) might come close... And the older material was if anything tighter than former versions of the N'gales were on the records.

Truth-in-advertizing dept: the Rough Trade "mix" of the Prefects' "Things in General" and a gussied-up version of the live "Agony Column" from their live CD (courtesy of Acute and Caroline True, respectively) will both grace Messthetics #103 [Midlands v.1], out sometime next month...

peace,

C.

glad to see the nice words re: nightingales, I'll send
them along. I saw them last tuesday in NYC and they
were amazing! I sent out a ton of emails trying to get
people to go on thursday to the second NYC show, which
I heard was also great. Can't stop listening to them
now!

-dan selzer
http://www.acuterecords.com

Also, saw a great show this weekend: The

--
Chuck Warner
Hyped to Death CDs/Messthetics