typicalgirls - [TypicalGirls] Avengers U.S. tour

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: Larry-bob <larrybob AT io.com>
  • To: typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [TypicalGirls] Avengers U.S. tour
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 09:36:39 -0500 (CDT)

I went and saw the Avengers last night here in San Francisco.
I'd seen one of the early reunion shows a few years ago,
but I don't think I'd seen them since then.

For anyone who might not be familiar, the Avengers are a band
fronted by Penelope Houston. They started in 1977 or so in
San Francisco, and opened for the original Sex Pistols last
show. The original band was around for two years, and broke up.
A few years ago Penelope and original guitarist Greg started
playing Avengers songs again with a new rhythm section. These
days the rhythm section is Luis of Pansy Division and Plus Ones on drums, and Joe Reader (Plus Ones) on bass.

Their show last night was great -- very high energy, and they played all my favorite songs.

I think this may be their first ever major U.S. tour -- they've
played Europe before, but I think this is the first time they're
hitting a lot of these cities. They have some west coast dates
this month (including Modesto today) and the more easterly
dates are in September.

It seems like the Myspace page is the most up-to date, though
you could also check out Penelope's webpage at http://www.penelope.net