typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] Kill Your Idols

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: unmannedmission AT gmail.com
  • To: "Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)" <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] Kill Your Idols
  • Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2006 14:05:02 -0400

It was a pretty decent look at what went on, but it definitely felt very stunted. I had to question it when I saw that the Yeah'sX3 were mentioned, as well as Gogol Bordello, and especially A.R.E. Weapons. Then I realized that this film came out in 2004, but was mostly filmed in 2002. It seemed dated even now. It was good to see that the Yeah'sX3 were called out for what they are, and again A.R.E. Weapons?! Wtf was that all about. I think for the older generation to scoff at what's going on now can come across as the "grumpy old men" syndrome, but you have to wonder how it would feel to be intense about art and music and then live 25 years past a movement and see it rehashed by a whole new flock of artists. I definitely thought of the newer bands, a much better representation could have been chosen. To call Black Dice, and the Liars, "No Wave" is, uh, pretty out there in my opinion. They even say in the movie what they did was meant to be "done" and was a short burst of "8-18 months" in time where things clicked in that way. Let's hear some new shit, and let's hear stuff that comes from a less derivative place. I thank this film though for making me realize I need to shut up when it comes to my feelings that everything had been done. If Glen Branca can say that, this isn't the case, then i have no place. Welcome to New York, the New LA.

On 7/8/06, weasel walter <weaselw AT juno.com> wrote:
> Jim Sclavunos (sp?) and others seem uncomfortable with any connection
> between this newer crop of musicians and what went on in the 70's

that's because the contemporary bands in the movie have only geography in
common as you pointed out. a severe lack of taste and discrimination was
exercised in choosing them. gogol bordello? please. i haven't seen this
thing yet, but i'm pretty sure that a lot of the archive footage probably
comes from a video tape of mine that's been circulating for years. they
couldn't even get some unseen stuff! if i sound like i'm scoffing at this
movie, i am. deal with it.

ww