typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] Cosmopolitans retrospective CD just released!

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: mike AT appelstein.com
  • To: typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] Cosmopolitans retrospective CD just released!
  • Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 13:31:32 -0400

Both tracks appeared on the SHAKE TO DATE comp, but it's not as if that's been
available for, oh, the past 15 years...

I recently found the Bongos on MySpace as well. MySpace: not just for underage
hookups, despite what the news says!

mike

uoting Evan Davies <evandavies AT yahoo.com>:

Hi,

I mostly lurk on this list, but thought that this news would be of interest to TG readers.

List members Of A Certain Age (or with an appreciation of history) may recall the female-fronted downtown NYC-via-Chapel Hill band/dance troupe The Cosmopolitans. Their songs "(How To Keep Your) Husband Happy" and "Wild Moose Party," released as a single on the venerable Shake label in 1980, were big college radio and club hits at the time but have so far been unavailable on any compilation or re-issue. Well, that's no longer the case!

Dionysus/Bacchus Archives has just released a retrospective CD, called 'Wild Moose Party,' that includes those two songs plus about 8 more tracks that have never been released! And as if that weren't enough the CD also includes a music video for "Husband Happy," featuring the acting talents of Mitch Easter and Faye Hunter, pre-Let's Active, intercut with some live footage from the Uncle Floyd Show (which includes me "playing" drums -- more like trying to avoid hitting them too hard so we could still hear the playback of the record we were lipsync-ing to). The CD is available through the usual online and in-person outlets; if you don't see it, ask for it!

You can also check out the inevitable myspace page at http://www.myspace.com/thecosmopolitans -- not much there yet, but that will change in the coming days.

thanks!

Evan

---