typicalgirls - [TypicalGirls] Gina plays NZ

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: WWWhatsup <joly AT dti.net>
  • To: Typical Girls <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [TypicalGirls] Gina plays NZ
  • Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 13:39:58 -0500

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/CU0603/S00225.htm

UK Punk Era Singer To Play One Show In NZ
Friday, 31 March 2006, 2:29 pm
Press Release: Touring Musicians

UK Punk Era Singer To Play One Show In NZ

Gina Birch, original punk Feminist and founding member of 1970's UK
all girl punk band THE RAINCOATS to play one show in New Zealand.
Thursday 13 April with Chris Knox and the Nothing

Gina Birch says, "I'm playing this show in Auckland as I am in town
visiting family. Chris Knox has organised the gig and will be
playing a set too, so it should be a swinging night. The Odeon is an
old funeral parlour.. extra good vibes!"

About GINA BIRCH (in her own words) I started The Raincoats (in
1978) with Ana (da Silva) when I was 19, totally inspired by what
was happening in punk, and especially seeing The Slits. We had a
fine time, toured, made couple of albums, before I started also
playing in Red Crayola with Mayo Thompson, Lora Logic and Epic
Soundtracks. The Raincoats then made a third album, our last for
some time.

After a couple of years Vicky (Aspinall) and I formed a band called
Dorothy and we recorded an album and released a few singles on
Chrysalis records via Geoff Travis's label Blue Guitar. Then I went
to film school at the Royal College and started making films more
seriously. I had been inspired by seeing Derek Jarman's super 8
films when he visited my art school, so had been making a lot of
super 8 for a while.

When I graduated from the Royal College, I was continuing to make
music videos having made Daisy Chainsaw's Love Your Money amongst
others and was just making one for The Pogues, when I got a phone
call asking if The Raincoats would go on tour with Nirvana!! As Ana
and I hadnt played for ages, it was quite a strange request but we
thought, mad to do it, madder not to! So we enlisted a new violinist
as Vicky didn't want to do it and Steve Shelley from Sonic Youth on
drums.....

anyway things didnt go quite according to plan and very sadly Kurt
died. We did make one album for Geffen. I was asked to do the music
for The Handsome Foundation's show, The Fear Show and came up with a
few tracks that then became the basis for the album Slow Dirty
Tears, which was released on Kill Rock Stars in the US and on my own
label in the UK (1998), with some money left over from Geffen.

I loved being on Kill Rock Stars and playing at Ladyfest in Olympia.
I started to record a new album, but have been extremely slow as I
now have two children, make music videos for lots of bands,
including Beth Orton, the Libertines, and New Order. I have started
to play quite a few shows recently and am now keen to finish the
record.

GINA BIRCH (solo) and Local legend CHRIS KNOX plays with his band
THE NOTHING Thursday 13 April Odeon Lounge, Mt Eden, Auckland $10
Door sales

www.myspace.com/ginabirch

WWWhatsup NYC

  • [TypicalGirls] Gina plays NZ, WWWhatsup, 03/31/2006