typicalgirls - [TypicalGirls] Anot so nice SLITS story suggesting actions stain myth

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: jim fouratt <jimfour AT gmail.com>
  • To: typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [TypicalGirls] Anot so nice SLITS story suggesting actions stain myth
  • Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 20:39:01 -0400

I do understand how the Slits represent so much so many people on this list .. and deseivingly so both musically and  for theiir outrageous gender _expression_. ( personally think the Hags and the Mudwomen were more outrageous)

But I have a memory not so nice of one night when the band Pylon .. and if you want to look at another punk woman who refused to conform to female woman rules including brit punk st lye fashion .. than you should become familiar with Vanessa Pylon's lead singer . and her unique singing/shouting/moaning/over the edge singing stlye .. HITS is a collection of the best of Pylon .. and they have in the last year reformed and are playing out dates in the Atlanta area .. well back to the memory .

Pylon was playing one night at Thier 3. They did their set and went to eat and came back to pick up their equipment. On stage they had a littler B&W old classic TV.  Well as they got to the club they saw Ari sneaking off with it. She got away before they could ask for their TV back.

I remember how bummed out Vanessa was that this could happen .

Pylon had no trust fund or upper class brats in the band .. and everything they did was on a tight shoe string budget.

One might ask why Ari would do this .. did it go to the dope dealer .. or perhaps she was mad collector of everything that shouted US TV classic. What ever the reason, she did.

I might suggest there is a class aspect to this story. Rich punk kids  were always best at letttng go of material things and believing they were entitled to anything tand take whatever they wanted .. you know .. the old property is theift...

Now you may ask why would I tell such a story on a revered artist .. well one would hope that a typical girl would respect the rights and property of another typical girl .. or boy for that matter.

Note/ I was always excited to see and hear the Slits.

jim fouratt

--
fascism as 'a system of government that
exercises a dictatorship of the extreme right,

American Heritage Dictionary