typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] defying conventional appearances

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: rara boom <the_nancies AT yahoo.com.au>
  • To: Lani Smith <LSmith AT minlib.net>, typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] defying conventional appearances
  • Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 22:03:20 +1000 (EST)

So many cool references and a brilliant analogy Steven, thankyou for that.

PJ is great don't get me wrong but I dunno it seems like everything is a bit punk these days. I am very weary of the term and not quite sure about its' meaning. Like everything else it has been commodified and screwed over.

What do u think of Iggy Pop?

Lani Smith <LSmith AT minlib.net> wrote:
I was thinking about "defying conventional appearances" and going against conventions of how women are supposed to appear, and I think that currently, Missy Elliot could fit that category. Coming out being what is conventionally considered overweight, then in her video, wearing an inflatible suit that makes her look even larger!! Her new album, and look are more "typical", but I still like her. This may be a "typical girls" stretch, but I'm looking for a new direction in my music...

Also, not exactly sure why, but I've never been a huge Sousxie fan. Maybe I'll give her another try.