typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] The impact of Punk on women?

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: WWWhatsup <joly AT dti.net>
  • To: typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] The impact of Punk on women?
  • Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 13:18:53 -0400

Michael Howes wrote:

> I just watched "Punk Attitude" last night, it's a documentary on
>the history of punk. They do touch on new wave and no wave and
>mention a number of no wave bands.
> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0446765/

I was there when Don filmed Ari for this and we had the impression
that the whole piece was going to be about women in punk, and the
questions were definitely angled that way. The same day he also shot
Patti Paladin.

I understand that the DVD has a lot more material included, and
that the program to be shown on tv in the uk will be a different edit.

> in particular Ari Up's comments specifically on women in the scene.
>I loved her quote about how the women in the Slits were just
>different in every way from the standards setup for women.
> Also Chrissie Hynde is a main speaker through the whole thing.
> Poly Styrene came across as not even liking the whole punk thing

Siouxsie comes over well I think.

I actually shot Don doing the interview from the side. I remember
Ari talking about how punk rock boys still basically wanted play rock'n'roll,
and that was another standard that the Slits determinedly broke.. so
it wasn't just female stereotypes.

> Henry Rollins's comments about the tough guy skin head stuff like
>Agnostic Front being very home erotic was great

This is pretty much the thesis (I believe cos I've not read it) of
Steven Blush's 'American Hardcore' book.

Personally I don't see it, any more than ultimate fighting or even the NFL
is homoerotic to those involved. Or that gay biker chic implies
homoeroticism in the Hell's Angels.

When I was in LA in 84, I do remember beefcake pics of Henry appearing in
gay magazines, much to the mirth of the local scene.

joly

WWWhatsup NYC