typicalgirls - [TypicalGirls] retrospective zine collecting for the Barnard Zine Library

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: Jillian Cuellar <jillianc AT gmail.com>
  • To: TypicalGirls AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [TypicalGirls] retrospective zine collecting for the Barnard Zine Library
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 17:42:13 -0400

Hello typical girls listers,

Speaking of old zines . . . I've been lurking on this list for a while
and am finally getting around to mentioning this. I've been trying to
locate old issues of Riot Grrrl zines, music related or otherwise for
the Barnard College Zine Library in NYC. The library is also looking
for any zines, old, new, out of publication or still running, that are
related to feminist and women's issues. Here's a little intro to the
collection:

The Barnard College Library in New York City is home to a growing zine
collection that focuses on feminist culture and politics. This is an
invitation to former and current zine creators and collectors to
archive and make accessible through the Barnard Library any zines
(defunct or still in publication) that are appropriate for the
collection. The collection encompasses a wide variety of zine genres
that address a number of feminist and women's issues and experiences,
including activism, anarchism, body image, ethnic identity,
menstruation, parenting, sexual assault, sexual orientation, urbanism,
and war. The collection's website outlines the institution's zine
collection mission statement and collection policy. It can be viewed
at http://www.barnard.edu/library/zines/. The website also includes a
link to access the library catalog (CLIO), where you can view a list
of zines the library currently holds.

If anyone out there wants their old/current zine to be included in the
Barnard Library Zine Collection, or if you have a collection of zines
that you would like to donate to the library, please contact me at
zines AT barnard.edu. At the moment, we are especially interested in
acquiring zines that document the Riot Grrrl scene, though we are
eager to accept zines of any time period or subject as long as they
are in accordance with our collection policy guidelines.

If anyone has questions, please contact me at zines AT barnard.edu. And
please feel free to forward this message to other zine collectors or
creators—we are trying to get the word out to as many people as
possible.

Thanks typical girls!

Jillian

  • [TypicalGirls] retrospective zine collecting for the Barnard Zine Library, Jillian Cuellar, 07/28/2005