typicalgirls - RE: [TypicalGirls] Information on Chandra

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: "Calvin Johnson" <k AT krecs.com>
  • To: "typical girls list" <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [TypicalGirls] Information on Chandra
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 11:26:05 -0800

Ya
the Chandra 12" is pretty good, particularly the song "Kate"
Still, when introduced to a Kate, I hear Chandra singing in my head "There's
a girl named Kate who thinks she's really great - but she's NOT!"
Fortunately, I've been able to restrain myself from singing along.
When this record showed up at OP magazine it seemed to have something to do
with the Philadelphia band the Dance, maybe their record was in the same
package, but I always assumed that the Dance was backing up Chandra on these
songs. But no, according to the credits it is Eugéne Diserio and Alexander,
with Fred Maher playing drums. Also, Chandras plays some melodica - so ahead
of her time on that. Some of the songs still seem a bit long though, which
was my feeling back then, too.
Good to know that she is still making music, I often wondered what became of
her.."Kate" is slated to be included on my third volume of female
underground new wave / punk compilation cassette (which I offer at the
merchandise table on tour). The Transportaion EP got a bit of airplay on
KAOS when it was around.