typicalgirls - [TypicalGirls] SAT 7/24 -> the HOMOSEXUALS @ TOMMY'S w/ Broke Review & Tallboys & Crazy Rhythms djs

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: Todd <tnyclists AT yahoo.com>
  • To: TypicalGirls AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [TypicalGirls] SAT 7/24 -> the HOMOSEXUALS @ TOMMY'S w/ Broke Review & Tallboys & Crazy Rhythms djs
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 11:40:29 -0700 (PDT)

hey there New York -

this Saturday 7/24, do not miss:

:: the HOMOSEXUALS [in exile] (Bruno Wizard backed by the Fuses)
:::: w/ DAN MELCHIOR'S BROKE REVIEW
:::::: TALLBOYS

:: CRAZY RHYTMS DJs (Dan Selzer & Mike Simonetti)
:: & DJs PICKPOCKET & BURGERTIME (Kat & Keren)

@ TOMMY'S TAVERN
1041 Manhattan Ave @ Freeman St | Greenpoint, Brooklyn
G train to Greenpoint Ave | doors 8pm | -> $7 | 718.383.9699

the HOMOSEXUALS were an enigma of a band when they began in London in
the late 70s & they have gone on to spawn an obsessive afterlife legend
among feverish record collectors through to today. An indescribable
amalgam of hundreds of influences - from psyche-folk and power-pop to
punk and dub - the HOMOSEXUALS were probably the most eccentrically
avant-garde band in the UK scene in the late 70s, while also writing
the most perfect pop songs. "As potent and visionary as Wire or Pere
Ubu," - Village Voice

the HOMOSEXUALS' continued obscurity is a story of a recorded output of
just a smatterring of cassettes & impossible to find records - though
filled with genius pop experiments - obscured & deconstructed &
otherwise challenged in every possible way. Hauntingly catchy & amazing
pure pop snippets of vocals or guitar would be left as deliberately
unfinished fragments, perfect finished pop songs would be stripped of
all recognisable features and buried in layers of dub and cocophany,
and to guarantee all obscurity, they'd relase finished vinyl records
sleeveless and nameless or under pseudonyms.

it's unlikely the HOMOSEXUALS wil be preforming again anytime soon, so
don't miss this chance to see an genuine legend play in an intimate
setting in Brooklyn - only their 2nd show in the USA ever.

also don't miss - 2nite 7/23 -> LA LAQUE, MOB STEREO, THE ART OF
SHOOTING, & FULL MOON PARTISAN @ TOMMY'S TAVERN

& Monday 7/26 -> FEDERATION X, TUNNEL OF LOVE, & CHEEPS @ TOMMY'S
TAVERN

brought to you with love by Todd P

toddp AT toddpnyc.com | http://www.toddpnyc.com

Saturday July 24th @ TOMMY’S TAVERN

.. the HOMOSEXUALS in Exile (Bruno Wizard + the Fuses)
.... DAN MELCHIOR’S BROKE REVIEW
...... TALLBOYS

.. CRAZY RHYTHMS DJ CREW (DAN SELZER & MIKE SIMONETTI)
.. DJs PICKPOCKET & BURGERTIME (KAT & KEREN)

1041 Manhattan Ave @ Freeman St | Greenpoint, Brooklyn
G train to Greenpoint Ave | doors 8pm | $7 | 718.383.9699

[ organized by Bryan Swirsky, Todd P, & help from Dan Selzer ]

[ the HOMOSEXUALS in exile ]
"Bruno Wizard was a psychedelic child of the sixties who got caught up
in the excitement of the 1977 UK Punk scene. Despite being amongst the
first, naming his band The Homosexuals was only one of a dozen reasons
he never made it. Another reason was the sheer brilliance and
uniqueness of their music. While they may have been the most
avant-garde band on the scene, they also wrote the most perfect pop
songs. But while mining everything from psyche-folk and power-pop to
punk and dub, the Homosexuals managed to record a world of brilliant
sounds all uniquely their own, each deconstructed gem having more ideas
then most bands have in a lifetime. Since then Bruno has been involved
in other worlds of music we're only now catching up with, and with the
excitement over the release of the long needed Astral Glamor 3cd box
set, he's been convinced to revisit his past for a moment, and in
typical Homosexuals fashion, play some favorites with a band he's never
met." - Dan Selzer, Acute Records / NY Happenings
*press: http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0429/wolk.php
*listen: http://64.27.65.90:8080/ramgen/othermusic/heartsin.rm

[ DAN MELCHIOR'S BROKE REVIEW ]
"Dan Melchior's a brazen, talented songwriter from the wilds of London.
He used to play with the likes of Billy Childish and Holly Golightly,
but escaped to NYC to focus on his band, the Broke Revue." - Version
City records. "Dan Melchior’s Broke Revue is one of NYC’s finest
transplant bands to arrive on the scene. Their new EP is a foot
stomping collection of four covers. Subway Sect “Chain Smoking”, Dob
Dylan “From A Buick 6”, The Toggs “I Just Sing”, and The Small Faces
“Whatcha Gonna Do About It”. The songs on the EP were chosen to
represent the band’s roots. It is a terrific vinyl piece to play at any
party." - Lio Cerezo, Crashin' In

[ TALLBOYS ]
"Tallboys, a helter skelter/herky jerky quartet from the back alleys of
New York, create their own off-kilter and distinctive art-damaged punk
sound in the spirit of old-school Rough Trade bands like The FAll and
Kleenex/Liliput . Live, lead singer Shelia Sixteen hypnotizes audiences
by her without-fear-or-favor stage presence, her spastic-snarling
vocals, and drunken fly-by-night banter while the band plows through
their set full of thunderous, sweaty energy." - Indieworkshop.com
*mp3: http://www.tallboys.net/mp3s/Talleq.mp3
*press: http://indieworkshop.com/interviews/66

Monday July 26th @ TOMMY’S TAVERN

== FEDERATION X
==== TUNNEL OF LOVE
====== CHEEPS

1041 Manhattan Ave @ Freeman St | Greenpoint, Brooklyn
G train to Greenpoint Ave | doors 8pm | $5 | 718.383.9699

[ organized by Bill Badgley & Young Sinners Gang - Robert P & JesseJane
]

Friday July 30th @ TOMMY’S TAVERN

:: Tae Won Yu (x Kicking Giant)
:::: Snoozer
:::::: Shumai

1041 Manhattan Ave @ Freeman St | Greenpoint, Brooklyn
G train to Greenpoint Ave | doors 8pm | $5 | 718.383.9699

[ organized by Suzy G & Todd P ]

Friday July 30th @ ON THE Q TRAIN @ CANAL - 2ND TO LAST CAR

== AFTERPARTY FOR CRITICAL MASS ==

== FEDERATION X

“friday july 30th flim flam (free blow!!!) starts with critical mass at
union square park 7:30pm then at 10pm meet at the Q station on broadway
and canal second to last car and bring your bikes with, where
federation x will blow a song over the manhattan bridge with their
“amazing” back pack amps"” - Bill Badgley

Q Train @ Canal St Station on the 2nd to last car | NYC, NY
Q train at Canal | 7:30pm SHARP! | free | don’t tell the MTA

[ organized by Bill Badgley ]

Friday July 30th @ 68 TAAFE ST

** TAAFE ST UNDERWEAR PARTY #2 **

** FEDERATION X (PLAYING 1ST @ 10PM SHARP!!)
**** CHEEPS
****** VAZ
******** FLESHIES

** dj DIRTY FINGERS from Black Label

68 Taaffe St @ Park Ave | Clinton Hill / Navy Yard, Brooklyn
G train to Classon | 10PM SHARP!! | $? | don’t bother calling

“get of the train from the subway show @ the dekalb and flatbush stop
and go to a house party at 68 taaffe pl (bt park and flushing)brkln
jerk. show starts promptly at 10:30pm w/the cheeps, VAZ, fleshies, FED
X and black label’s own dj dirty fingaz. if you come from the Q take
dekalb or myrtle towards Queens to Taaffe turn left past park, green
door 68. THIS IS ALSO A UNDERWEAR PARTY. START YOUR DIET NOW FLABBY. IF
YOU DIDN’T WENT TO THE LAST ONE IT WAS A BLAST. THIS IS UNDERWEAR PARTY
TWO: THE REVENGE OF UNDERWEAR.” - Bill Badgley

[ organized by Bill Badgley ]

Tuesday August 3rd @ a heretofor to be determined bar near 502 Warren
St

-- Casiotone for the Painfully Alone
---- This Invitation
------ Nadav & Peggy’s pop band aka White Nights aka Japanda

[ organized by Todd P & Doug Mosurock ]

Tuesday August 3rd @ 502 Warren St

== Casiotone for the Painfully Alone
==== Zeke Healy (from the Boggs)
====== Knifestorm
======== Currituck Co.

[ organized by Todd P & Doug Mosurock & 502 Warren St ]

502 Warren St btwn Nevins & Bond | Boerum Hill, Brooklyn
G or F tarin to Bergen St | ALL AGES | $donation | starts around 10pm

Wednesday August 4th @ TOMMY’S TAVERN

++ the Amber Smith
++++ Casiotone for the Painfully Alone
++++++ Brasilia
++++++++ the Oxford Collapse

1041 Manhattan Ave @ Freeman St | Greenpoint, Brooklyn
G train to Greenpoint Ave | doors 8pm | $6 | 718.383.9699

[ organized by Todd P & Doug Mosurock ]

Saturday August 7th @ the Woodster (used to be called 'Roy's')

~~ Orthrelm
~~~~ Fast Forward (Vermiform Records)
~~~~~~ Aa / Big A little a
~~~~~~~~ Behold the Arctopus
~~~~~~~~~~ the Body

[ organized by Todd P & Mick Barr & Big A little a & the Woodster ]

141 South 5th St btwn Bedford & Driggs | Williamsburg, Brooklyn
L to Bedford, JM to Marcy, G to Metropolitan | 8pm | $6 | all ages

Friday August 13th @ Loft Space TBA – yours maybe? - email me

~~ Japanther
~~~~ da Hawnay Troof (folks from xBxRx & Bratmobile)
~~~~~~ Mob Stereo
~~~~~~~~ Nightmerica
~~~~~~~~~~ USA is a Monster
~~~~~~~~~~~~ Athletic Atomaton
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Mirror Mirror

Saturday August 14th @ Space tba

:: Lionheart Mirth
:::: TH’ISS

Sunday August 15th @ SOMEWHERE TBA

== MEASLES, MUMPS, RUBELLA

[ organized by Todd P & Michael Goodstein ]

Saturday August 21st @ TOMMY’S TAVERN

^^ Risk Relay
^^^^ Vague Angels (Chris Leo, x the Lapse & Van Pelt)

1041 Manhattan Ave @ Freeman St | Greenpoint, Brooklyn
G train to Greenpoint Ave | doors 8pm | $? | 718.383.9699

[ organized by Mark & Risk Relay ]

Wednesday August 25th @ FREDDY’S

:: Josh Reynolds’ SPELLING BEE ::

you see Spellbound? yeah, so did Josh. Actually here’s the story, this
last May we were all watching the Kentucky Derby and drinking straight
bourbon with mint and sugar in it and then, after yelling at the
horsees on the teevee got finished, the sports channel suddenly started
showing these crazy kids spelling “ichthyology” and what have you, in
front of a crowd. So we substituted workaholic junior high school nerds
for horses and re-commenced with the bets and the screaming. Alas, an
interest in spelling bees was born.

Come on out and compete, it’ll be be totally awesome! Josh’s gonna be
the spellmaster, costs one dollar to enter, and the winner takes the
pot (less expenses and the winner has to buy Josh a beer).

485 Dean St @ Portland | Prospect Heights, Brooklyn
1/2 train to Bergen, any train to Atlantic or Pacific | 8pm | $1

Saturday August 28th @ El Bohemio / La Norteña or somesuch

– NO NECK BLUES BAND
—- SIMON FINN

– dj Joel Hunt

[ organized by Russ Waterhouse & Todd P]

Friday September 3rd @ somewhere to be determined

:: Shellshag

Monday September 20 @ El Bohemio / La Norteña or somesuch

|| the Microphones / Mount Eerie