typicalgirls - [TypicalGirls] July 2004 issue of Mojo Magazine

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: Dina Hornreich <dinahornreich AT earthlink.net>
  • To: typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [TypicalGirls] July 2004 issue of Mojo Magazine
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 23:23:39 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

>From this site: <http://www.alicebag.com/>

Alice was recently interviewed by Don Waller for an article on the early days
of Punk in L.A.

Her comments, along with the comments of others, formed the basis of the
story which appears in the July 2004 issue of Mojo Magazine. Below are
excerpts from that background interview.

DW: What were your first impressions of the Masque?

A: I remember walking down the stairs of the Masque for the first time. It
felt cold and cavernous, but safe like a shelter, like a bomb shelter, I
guess. It felt like a hideaway from the rest of the world.

DW: Please describe a typical -- or your favorite -- or your most memorable
-- night at the Masque?

A: Because of the BYOB nature of the Masque, most of times I spent there are
hard to remember. I do remember our first show, because it was like one big
adrenaline rush. Oh yeah, there was a very drunk Bobby Pyn. I'd met him
earlier at the Orpheum Weirdos show. He ripped the bag off my head that
night. He, like many of the people who were there that night would become an
extended family for me within a matter of months.

DW: Dangerhouse Records. What happened?

A: I remember being at the Canterbury and hearing that the Dangerhouse
masters had been stolen and that David Brown was missing. I didn't lose sleep
over it then and I certainly don't now. I'm glad that we did the recordings
even if we never made a cent from them.

DW: Is the Middle Class EP the first hardcore record? If not, what is?

A: The Middle Class were playing the fastest music at the time but knowing
the band personally, I would say that "hardcore" was probably the furthest
thing from their minds. They wanted to provoke the audience intellectually
and not to incite mindless violence, like the Bags! So I wouldn't label them
as the first hardcore band, but they had all the sonic elements in place.
I'll let other people debate which record spawned hardcore.

DW: Any thoughts on the Decline of Western Civilization?

A: It's funny how time changes one's perception of things. When I first saw
the Decline at its premiere, I was mortified and felt that the worst parts of
the scene had been highlighted and that all that was positive and creative
had been ignored. I purposely avoided watching the movie for over twenty
years because of this. I saw the movie for the second time just last year and
I realized that what Penelope had shot was not inaccurate, it was simply not
the scene I had known. It's too bad that nobody ever made a film showing the
bands supporting each other, making their own clothes, records, posters,
fanzines and in general, embracing each others quirky, diverse insanity and
turning it into a cultural movement. Keith Morris is pretty great in it,
though!

DW: Anything else y'all wanna add, please feel free ...

A: You might have heard about a musician named Wild Man Fischer. He put out a
masterful record in the late 60's, I think. Well, he was friends with Nickey
Beat and he used to hang out with us at the Canterbury. One time, a group of
us went to see a movie and Wild Man came along. We were sitting in the
darkened theatre when suddenly a little voice began chirping "My name is
Laaarry, my name is Laaaarry, I have a friennnnd, his name is Niiiicky". We
made the mistake of laughing and the serenade continued with all our names
until we were forced to leave the theatre. Wild Man is often omitted from the
list of L.A. punks, but he was one of us!

dinahornreich AT earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~dinahornreich/
Ockhams Razor: Basic Scientific Principal
"All things being equal the simplest explanation
and the simplest answer is probably the right one."

  • [TypicalGirls] July 2004 issue of Mojo Magazine, Dina Hornreich, 07/08/2004