triangle-free-yoga - [triangle-free-yoga] summer weekend Yogas in Parks

triangle-free-yoga AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: about free yoga events in the Research Triangle (NC) area

  • From: Tom Roche <Tom_Roche AT pobox.com>
  • To: triangle-free-yoga AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [triangle-free-yoga] summer weekend Yogas in Parks
  • Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 12:31:20 -0400 (EDT)

Just wanted to update the list of Yoga-in-the-Park (YitP) events that
appear to be happening regularly over the summer. I say "appear"
because I personally don't know much about any of them except the
YitP @ the Durham Farmers Market

http://www.cs.duke.edu/YogaInThePark/
> When
> Every Saturday morning this summer, through September 5,
> 9:00-10:00ish am

The sessions typically run 45-90 min at the instructor's discretion,
but you are free to arrive and depart as you need (but please try not
to disturb others).

> Where
> Up the hill from the Farmer's Market pavilion, across Roney Street
> and under the trees (same spot as the past four years).

... at the northwest corner of Roney and Hunt, just north of downtown

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Roney+St+and+Hunt+St,+Durham,+NC

> Have questions?
> Jewel Wheeler jewel.wheeler at duke.edu 660-6535, 493-5220

I have also heard about (but don't otherwise know about--your reviews
are appreciated!)

8:15am Saturdays in August @ Lake Crabtree County Park in Morrisville
https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/triangle-free-yoga/2009q3/000125.html

9am Saturdays @ Fred Fletcher Park inside-the-beltline Raleigh
https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/triangle-free-yoga/2009q2/000050.html

7:30am Sundays @ Shelley Lake in north Raleigh
https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/triangle-free-yoga/2009q2/000051.html

(8am?) Sundays @ (105 S Main St?) Fuquay-Varina
https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/triangle-free-yoga/2009q3/000127.html

In any case, these are all outdoor events, and yoga outdoors can be
very different than yoga indoors! It can be both better and worse; you
can enhance the better and reduce the worse by

* bringing water! I always bring water to practice, indoors or out-,
but even if you don't usually bring a water bottle, consider doing
so for an outdoor class.

* biking or walking to the event. In addition to being better for the
planet, it gets you outside, thus helps you get acclimated.

* dressing appropriately. Dress in layers, so you can add/subtract
clothing as required. Your base layer should resemble what you would
wear @ a warm studio like FSYC. Be prepared for an hour in the sun
(though these events are pretty early, and most have some tree
cover). Be prepared to be sprinkled-upon (though all of these events
will cancel for real rain, there may be tree-fall).

* allowing a little more time to pick/prepare a spot. IMHO the biggest
difference between in- and outdoors is the surface, which just won't
be as level or smooth as a floor. For your first few outside
practices, take some time and find a spot that is either level or
evenly sloped, and walk over it very completely with bare feet to
remove sticks and rocks *before* you put your mat down. (And
remember that your "park" is some animal's "restroom" :-)

The next biggest difference is acoustics: without walls sound
dissipates more rapidly, so you probably wanna be as close to the
instructor or leader as possible.

* bringing extra padding in addition to your mat. (None of these
events provide mats, AFAIK.) Uneven doesn't hafta be uncomfortable!

HTH, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche AT pobox.com>