triangle-free-yoga - [triangle-free-yoga] ~7pm Thursday @ Sunstone: yoga circle

triangle-free-yoga AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: about free yoga events in the Research Triangle (NC) area

  • From: Tom Roche <Tom_Roche AT pobox.com>
  • To: triangle-free-yoga AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [triangle-free-yoga] ~7pm Thursday @ Sunstone: yoga circle
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 09:47:44 -0400 (EDT)

You are invited to a yoga circle starting around 7pm on Thursday
evenings in the Sunstone Apartments clubhouse in east Chapel Hill
(between University Mall and Whole Foods).

So ... what's a yoga circle? In both, people gather at some time/place
to do yoga, but

* a class usually has a defined set of activities (e.g. "ashtanga
primary series," "intro yogalates"). In a circle we improvise,
trying to match the yoga to the abilities and interests of the
attendees.

* in a class, one person leads (i.e. calls the positions, talks folks
through them). In a circle we rotate among those who are willing to
lead. (Leading is not required, but it may surprise you how easy and
fun it is to lead an asana or flow, and how much it helps you learn
about yourself and about yoga.) Devon or I will lead if no one else
wants to.

* classes are usually not free, circles usually are!

So ... how does this particular yoga circle work? The doors open
~6:45pm to meet and move furniture, then we start practice @ ~7pm.
(If the doors aren't open @ 6:45pm, give me a call @ 672.5187.)

We're open to pretty much everyone, so bring your friends or family
along! Folks of every level of experience (including none at all) are
welcome. (Reasonably-focused kids are good too--we've had good
experiences, even with babies.) This is not like a session class: just
because you didn't come last week doesn't mean you can't meetup this
week.

Bring your mats, any props you like to use, any books or DVDs that
inspire you, and creative ideas! Mats and other pads are strongly
recommended: the floor is wood, but is not soft. Water bottles are
good. The clubhouse has restrooms in which you can change.

The Sunstone Apartments clubhouse is a nice space to do yoga but hard
to find on online maps. Here's how to get there:

1 Get to Estes & Franklin in Chapel Hill by whatever route you like.

2 Go one block "south" (actually it's more east) on Estes (towards
University Mall) and take the first left at the first traffic light,
which is Willow Dr.

3 Take the first left again, this time onto Conner Dr.

4 You will go about a block with a buncha offices on both sides. Then
you will see a sign for Sunstone Apartments and cross over some
speed bumps as you enter the complex.

5 The street will bear right and the first building on your right will
be the clubhouse, which will be on the street (where there is also
car and bike parking). The front door will be unlocked: just enter.

HTH, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche AT pobox.com>