triangle-free-yoga - [triangle-free-yoga] 10-4pm S 23 May @ Stone House: silent Day of Practice

triangle-free-yoga AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: about free yoga events in the Research Triangle (NC) area

  • From: Tom Roche <Tom_Roche AT pobox.com>
  • To: triangle-free-yoga AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [triangle-free-yoga] 10-4pm S 23 May @ Stone House: silent Day of Practice
  • Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 10:07:53 -0400 (EDT)

The following event is not strictly free, but almost ("offered freely;
donations are gratefully accepted"--see longer quote near end of
post), and it's interesting, so I thought I'd pass this along. It's
now on the Stone House's site

http://www.stonecircles.org/work/events.html
> Day of Practice
> Saturday, May 23rd; 10:00 am - 4:00 pm

> Led by Claudia Horwitz and Jesse Vega-Frey. Join us for a silent,
> daylong retreat of guided yoga and meditation practice. This day of
> practice is offered freely; donations are gratefully accepted. A
> light lunch will be served. To sign up, email
> Margie AT stonecircles.org.

The following information comes from that and from an attachment
Margie Hattori sent. (I'd googledoc that, but googledoc won't publish
PDFs :-(

Claudia Horwitz

http://www.echoinggreen.org/fellows/claudia-horwitz

and Jesse Vega-Frey (see

http://www.contemplativemind.org/programs/cnet/staff.html

) will lead a silent Practice Retreat of guided yoga and meditation
from 10am-4pm this Saturday (23 May) at the Stone House in Mebane

http://www.stonecircles.org/stonehouse/location.html

They invite you to arrive between 9:30-10am to get a cup of tea, chat,
and settle in. (After that the rest of the practice will be silent.)

They have plenty of yoga mats and meditation cushions, but feel free
to bring your own. They will also be serving a simple vegetarian lunch
mid-day, but feel free to bring snacks. Definitely bring a water
bottle. Shoes are not worn inside the practice hall; bring warm socks
or slippers if desired. If you want to take a walk around their site
after practice ends, please bring sturdy shoes.

"In keeping with tradition, participants will have the opportunity to
offer 'dana' to The Stone House at the end of the day. 'Dana' is both
a Sanskrit and Pali word meaning generosity or giving. In Asia, most
teachings are offered free of charge, making them accessible to all
who want to learn and practice. At The Stone House, we are creating
our own culture of generosity, offering our retreat-based programming
freely or at very low cost. Participants can then offer generosity to
enable these opportunities to continue, and they can do so at a level
that is appropriate for them. And in fact, determining what this level
is becomes its own practice. We'll talk a bit more about it at the end
of the retreat."

Email Margie Hattori <Margie AT stonecircles.org> to attend, and let us
know how it went!

HTH, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche AT pobox.com>

  • [triangle-free-yoga] 10-4pm S 23 May @ Stone House: silent Day of Practice, Tom Roche, 05/18/2009