solaris-packages-announce - [solaris packages] top 3.5b8 Solaris 7 sun4u 32bit

solaris-packages-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: solaris-packages-announce

  • From: Mark (Mookie) <mark AT zang.com>
  • To: solaris-packages-announce AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: [solaris packages] top 3.5b8 Solaris 7 sun4u 32bit
  • Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 05:16:25 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,

A lot has happened since I last released a package, it seems everytime I
power down the lab for some reason it takes a long time to produce more
software again. The good news is I have another week of idle time and
some seriously idle time soon in which I can be producing packages.

As some of you have seen, metalab.unc.edu is now know as iBiblio.org,
some artsy type name describing the site as a digital library. This
will probably be stable for at least four years since that's how long
the Red Hat Center is donating money for! I have some reservations
about the move to an i86pc platform and a version of RH Linux though...
Nonetheless the UNC folks are doing a great job and I must again thank
them for all their support over the years.

The new name doesn't affect anything at all really since the machine still
answers to sunsite.unc.edu and metalab.unc.edu as well as ibiblio.org.
You can keep your bookmarks to the Solaris Package Archive and they will
continue to work properly. Use what you remember best.

I'm tinkering with the look and feel of the site a little too, there is
a big title GIF and I'm improving the HTML correctness of the page. Even
the disabled will be catered for with some more modifications. This will
include the use of style sheets so make sure you are up to date with your
browsers before it goes live. If you don't know what I mean don't worry
too much.

Some email list trivia, we're at 1,125 members, the 1,000th being added
in June. No I don't know who that was. Welcome anyway.

Now, to todays package update; strange as it may seem people out there
are using the 32 bit kernels on sun4u hardware. I've had a request to
provide top(1) binaries for these combinations.

The package:

top.3.5b8.SPARC.32bit.Solaris.7.pkg.tgz

has had its' contents changed from:

top-3.5b8-sun4m-5.7

to the new binaries:

top-3.5b8-sun4m-5.7-32bit
top-3.5b8-sun4u-5.7-32bit

The sun4m binary is the same so there is no need to install the new
package if you have it installed and running. If you want to update
your package however then do this:

cd /var/tmp
umask 022
Fetch the top.3.5b8.SPARC.32bit.Solaris.7.pkg.tgz package
pkgrm top
gunzip -c top.3.5b8.SPARC.32bit.Solaris.7.pkg.tgz | /usr/bin/tar -xvf -
pkgadd -d. top

This will properly remove the old top package before installing the new
package. This is so you don't have old binaries laying around.

I expect to issue similar packages for the Solaris 8 combinations at
this time tomorrow.

More top(1) information can be found at:

http://ibiblio.org/pub/packages/solaris/sparc/html/top.3.5b8.html

As always the packages can be found at:

http://ibiblio.org/pub/packages/solaris/sparc/

Cheers,
Mark.
mark AT zang.com
mark AT ibiblio.org
Because it's getting silly:
mark AT metalab.unc.edu
mark AT sunsite.unc.edu

  • [solaris packages] top 3.5b8 Solaris 7 sun4u 32bit, Mookie, 09/21/2000