sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Questionable dependencies

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Ismael Luceno <ismael AT iodev.co.uk>
  • To: Source Mage Discussion <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Questionable dependencies
  • Date: Thu, 16 May 2019 14:55:42 +0200

On 06/May/2019 10:52, Vlad Glagolev wrote:
<...>
> We should not forget gnupg is an essential component of the basesystem,

I propose, again, to drop gpg and replace it with some signify
implementation, or similar simple tool.

GPG 1.x was already too complex for basesystem.

And keep in mind upstream keys today add *no security*; they're just
required to sit on the grimoires, almost like a hash in practice, but
more complex.

> which means it's a part of the minimal image every installation starts
> from. According to our last release [0], it contains 118 spells, and
> I'd like to keep that list as small as possible.

Based on the early tests, I expect a reduction of 80% on my musl-based
variant, which should be complete by next month.

I plan to drop from basesystem even bash eventually, as mksh can run
most of sorcery code.

So we can dream...