sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] initramfs ?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Treeve Jelbert <treeve AT scarlet.be>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] initramfs ?
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2019 14:53:26 +0100

I think that I may need to setup an initramfs.

I have a linux-4.20.10 system running on a SSD with multiple partitions.
I want to take the SSD and put in a USB3 enclosure so that I can test multiple systems.
There are lots of kernel modules, to cope with the various hardware configurations.

When I try to boot from USB on the same hardware. the kernal starts, lists the uuids on the SSD, but then panics.
16384 ram15
VFS unable to mount root device - unknown block(0,0)

I assume that I need one or more extra modules builtin to the kernel, but am unable to determine which ones, presumably usb related.

I see that the linux spell supports creating an initramfs, Does anyone have any experience of this?

Regards, Treeve