sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] glib2 dependent spells

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] glib2 dependent spells
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2018 17:47:11 +0200

Am Tue, 17 Apr 2018 12:17:35 +0200
schrieb Treeve Jelbert <treeve AT scarlet.be>:

> glib2 now uses meson build.

Ouch. This is spreading.

> One consequnce of this is that .la files are no longer installed.

We were sortof trying to get rid of them anyway, no? It might be a nice
project to run around and bug upstreams about adding pkgconfig files.
That's a nice build-system-agnostic way to handle this. They will be
useful even once CMake vanishes into oblivion;-)

> In the particular case of cairo, harfbuzz and freetype2 there is cyclic
> dependency loop

Damn, this is a good time to get something implemented around the
proposal that Jaka had about this in 2008. Ten years ago! Dispel stuff
in an overlay fs (castfs), cast without deps, cast again … then install.

I wish I had time. I wonder if the script would be an acceptable
solution. One cast modifying installed files of other spells to fix
them … Somewhere there's a general scheme of a concept there.

I would be nice if we could solve this with a general approach to the
cyclic dependcies. No special hacking.

Alrighty then,

Thomas