sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] fftw: Why do we enforce non-default --with-combined-threads?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Remko van der Vossen <wich AT yuugen.jp>
  • To: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] fftw: Why do we enforce non-default --with-combined-threads?
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2018 11:30:17 +0200

On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 09:40:11AM +0200, Thomas Orgis wrote:
> So we got a history of 12 years sporting that non-default installation
> now.

It sounds like an arbitrary choice made by the initial creator of the
option. Perhaps they didn't even really knew what it meant? Seems fine
to me to not force the combining.

> So, I'd opt for making long double an option instead of the threading,
> as long we only are on platforms where both threading (glibc) and
> OpenMP (gcc) are a given.

I would say upstream gives the options, so we should give the options.
If other stuff needs options we should make sub dependencies, that's why
we created them. Whether they are heavy or not should not matter, we are
about giving the user choice.

Regards, Remko