sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] ACTION REQUIRED: Developer Mail Access

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] ACTION REQUIRED: Developer Mail Access
  • Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2016 18:47:15 -0500

On Sep 01, Thomas Orgis [thomas-forum AT orgis.org] wrote:
> * Account 'sobukus.smgl': Connecting to POP3 server:
> mail.sourcemage.org:110...
> [20:39:02] POP3< +OK Dovecot ready.
> [20:39:02] POP3> STLS
> [20:39:02] POP3< +OK Begin TLS negotiation now.
> ** Socket error.
>
> Do you have a chance to see on your end why the connection is lost
> after STARTTLS?

I wasn't sure which logs were yours (they don't include the username until
the cert is verified), but I installed claws here and set up the cert and
get the same error. In those logs I see:

"Disconnected (client didn't send a cert)"

So, I think claws isn't doing the TLS conversation the way dovecot expects.

You can test your cert set up using:

$ openssl s_client -starttls pop3 -connect hedwig.sourcemage.org:110 -key
<keyfile> -cert <certfile>

or:

$ openssl s_client -connect geri.sourcemage.org:995 -key <keyfile> -cert
<certfile>

Either of you should get you connected to the server interactively, where
you can do:

+OK Dovecot ready.
USER <whatever>
+OK
PASS <whatever>
+OK Logged in.
LIST
+OK 0 messages:
.
QUIT
DONE

> I hope you're not too annoyed by me not just using mpop …

Hey, use what you want. Do keep in mind mpop doesn't have to just write to
maildir or mbox, it can do mda-based delivery as well. So, it can deliver
to procmail or your local $sendmail to inject into your existing mailflow.