sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] ACTION REQUIRED: Developer Mail Access

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] ACTION REQUIRED: Developer Mail Access
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2016 00:02:30 +0200

Am Tue, 30 Aug 2016 16:26:08 -0500
schrieb Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>:

> It doesn't allow SMTP relay, same as before. I can look into allowing
> SMTP-AUTH using the same certificates, or POP-before-SMTP.

Well, I didn't need another relay, just wondered about the norm that
folks at Google, United Internet & Co. would like to have: mails only
originating from the servers that they belong to … but I'm also not
enforcing SPF for my server, so if sourcemage.org als doesn't do this,
in theory @sourcemage mail should still work from that one like it was
in the old days.

If this account is POP3-only anyway, mpop in addition to my normal MUA
might be a solution, though it complicates the setup, using two
programs instead of one for mail access. I'm not one of those greybeard
fetchmail users … back then I mounted /var/spool/mail via NFS;-)

I must admit that this is the first time that I'm confronted with
client certs for mail. Have to ponder what's the fun about them (I
guess none unless you somehow protect the private key).

Alrighty then,

Thomas