sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] KDE5: still no success with kdenlive / in general / bad checksum

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] KDE5: still no success with kdenlive / in general / bad checksum
  • Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2016 19:43:52 +0100

Hi again,

I was able to build kdenlive after Treeve's latest fixes, but it's of
no use. I cannot open clips. The file browser shows up rather empty. I
get error messages about kio/file plugin not being found (it is
installed in /opt/qt5 just fine).

I tried to install kio-extras, as thumbnailer stuff seems to be there
(no dice). I set XDG env var so that kdenlive icons are found
in /opt/qt5 (should all qt5-using applications go into /opt/qt5?), but
then I see even less true icons, but the welcome dialogues have their
graphics in return.

Well … I'm not sure what tricks one has to play to be able to run a
KDE-related application nowadays, except running it from inside a
KDE/Plasma session. So, I tried to cast plasma-desktop. That went
along, installing lots of spells … until it stumbled over
plasma-workspace having a bad hash sum. Treeve: Do you have the
original file and can compare what changed?

So far, I decided to give up on kdenlive. I realised that my video
project in avidemux does not crash on export if I use MKV instead of
AVI … so I might work around the lack of a proper video editor with
that and some barebones ffmpeg.

Kdenlive might work in a full-fledged install of
KDE5/Plasma/orhowitscalled, but the idea to just install this
application with its support libs and run it from a normal window
manager is apparently insane. I'm not sure what settings are needed to
make it work. As a first step, I need to dig out the command
from /opt/qt5/bin/. I do wonder if kdenlive should really install there
and also if there should be a /etc/profile.d/qt5.sh as there
is /etc/profile.d/qt4.sh. I can imagine pros and cons.

Mostly, I feel personal cons now regarding all this exploded desktop
environment world. And I actually _liked_ KDE before. Back when it was
a mere dozen of packages, Qt being _one_ of them (and not crazy little
fragments like kdeclarative on top of qdeclarative). Thinking about the
old times … I'm somewhat astonished that this still exists and does
releases:

https://www.trinitydesktop.org/

Perhaps we should have spells for that just for the heck of it. GNOME
got it's MATE, after all.

Again, Treeve, kudos for dealing with this KDE mess. You got some
strength. But I wonder if one man alone can wage this battle for too
long. But then, that's the same one thought about the guy behind
Trinity;-)

Alrighty then,

Thomas