sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] usbutils, udev, eudev

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] usbutils, udev, eudev
  • Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2015 21:54:20 +0100

Am Mon, 14 Dec 2015 08:36:11 +0100
schrieb Treeve Jelbert <treeve AT scarlet.be>:

> I have been using eudev for about 2 years, no problems.

Well, it seems to work now. I really had to enable the kmod dependency
(it was not clear to me that module autoloading would not work at all
without it). Also, I'm running with the kernel option to keep old
network interface names. With only one interface in the machine, eth0
is more predictable than anything else.

> Since eudev is created upstream using selected patches from systemd, I
> would not recommend duplciating the effort.

Agreed. So, actually, the udev spell should be deprecated in favour of
eudev.

> On the other hand, more things expect to find systemd itself and not
> all of their features work wwithout it.

So far I hit none of them, but since you deal with desktop environments
a bit more than me (I just managed to get okular installed for PDF
forms and the odd CHM; annoying how it spawns a whole set of KDE cruft
in the background messing with my fluxbox session), I am not surprised
that those systemd dependencies are on your radar.

> I think that we will need to bite the bullet and have an uptodate
> systemd spell which provides DEVICE-MANAGER and other things, such as
> LOGIM-MANAGER and INIT-MANAGER.

I am a bit disappointed about the total lack of flamewar about this.
SMGL is hibernating.

> If we don't do this, a large number of our spells will become
> irrelevant.

Significantly more than it is aleady the case … ? Anyhow, I need to get
to the origin of firefox crashing all the time.

Happy holidays, or so,

Thomas